Author Topic: Virus Chest RPC server error  (Read 4391 times)

microchip

Virus Chest RPC server error
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:39:30 AM »
I know this is the 100th time you are seeing this and I've read through a number of emails pertaining to this but none seem to work... 

In my test network I have a Windows Workgroup that consists of 2 XP PRO PCs and one XP Media Center edition.  (basically pro)

I have ADNM installed on one XP PRO machine and have deployed netclient to all three machines (one that ADNM is on and the 2 others.)

XP SP2 is on all machines. 

With XP SP2 firewall turned on on the media center PC, I  CANNOT connect to virus chest.  I get an RPC server is unavailable error.  If I turn off the firewall it works fine.

When the firewall is turned on, I have gone in and put a check mark in the boxes for File and printer sharing, and remote Desktop.  I have added TCP ports for 16111 and 16108.  I have even uninstalled and reinstalled netclient on that machine.  If the firewall is on, it won't work. 

On the other hand, I have the other XP PRO machine that doesn't matter WHAT I do to the firewall, I can still access the chest.  I have gone in and unchecked everything (File and printer sharing and remote desktop).  I have not extra ports open and the firewall on.  On that machine I STILL have no problem accessing the chest. 

WHY???? and what else can I try on the media center PC?

I checked this out here because I have a similar problem on my larger DOMAIN based network with 65 PCs.  I have a machine or 2 with the same scenario.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Virus Chest RPC server error
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »
The remote chest needs port 135 (RPC) open too.
Remote desktop is not needed, File and printer sharing is needed only for remote deployment.

microchip

Re: Virus Chest RPC server error
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »
The remote chest needs port 135 (RPC) open too.
Remote desktop is not needed, File and printer sharing is needed only for remote deployment.

Geesh...  Thanks  I meant remote administration which appears once you join a domin.  In addition, I found TCP port 16108 necessary to be open to get through the firewall.