Author Topic: I've about had enough  (Read 1368 times)

REDACTED

I've about had enough
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
Avast has become nearly as annoying as the popup adware it is supposed to protect against.

Avast is constantly shoving itself in my face with stuff I don't care about.  Or, with stuff I specifically don't want.

What sent me here today is, I'm pretty sure that the latest update hijacked my browser.  Both the home page and the search engine.  It pointed both at Yahoo.  I'm sure that, technically, it asked somewhere.  But, for practical purposes, it snuck those in.  That's extremely poor netizenship.

It's also complaining about some addons I have installed in Firefox.  I know what they are.  I want them.  Let me mark them as safe for myself.  No, instead they have to pop up a big scary window every time Firefox starts.

I forget what else, at the moment.  I think there's a cleanup it nags me with a lot.  But, I am finding myself annoyed by them over and over.  Just do your job and get out of my way, unless it's something actually important.

I have been recommending Avast to friends and family for many years.  I even chose to get myself a paid subscription for the last few years, because I like to reward companies for software I find useful.  But, it has gotten really bad.

I'm about to start searching for something else.

Drake Christensen

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: I've about had enough
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
You can disable the ads in the paid versions.
Avast GUI -> Settings -> Popups
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
Re: I've about had enough
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
I think this sort of a issue has been brought to the light multiple times and I don't understand the reason for which you don't like avast warning you about possibly bad/malicious add-ons it's avast job as a antivirus to warn you.Even software updater is neat because if avast can help you keep your software's up to date,it can keep you safer.

Yes point taken the adds are kind of buggy.I think a better idea to stop the ads is to block avastui.exe from accessing the internet through windows firewall as it seems to effectively block the ads. :)