Author Topic: Locate by text message does not complete  (Read 6914 times)

REDACTED

Locate by text message does not complete
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
On Android 7.1.1, latest Avast anti-theft 4.2.0.8278 . Mobile data is off (out of range).

If I send a text message from another mobile to my mobile to locate it, I get a text message back saying that this was successful and that my location has been reported to my predefined trusted number.  However, if my mobile was locked, with the screen off, I do not get the position text message back as well.

If I go to the mobile I am trying to locate and simply turn on the screen with a single button press, without unlocking it, the location text message gets sent and received by the first friend (predefined) mobile.

It is as if the mobile I am trying to locate wants to tell me that the first message has been received and is waiting for an acknowledgement.  This is clearly not what I need to happen.  I need the phone to be located whatever state it is in (provided it is on).

Last time I tested this I didn't have any problem, but I'm not sure if the screen was off and locked at the time.

Help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Locate by text message does not complete
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »
Looks to me the problem is with Android.
When the screen is off, several things are not running.
When it is off, the part that takes care of the respond is not working.

I'm not a Android expert, but this is how I see it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
Well yes, but that's a problem for Avast as well.  If Android prevents the locate function from working, the function is useless, which is a problem.  If someone from avast would like me to test settings, or a beta version, I'd be happy to do so.  I really want this to work.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
I have in the past for Mobile Security.  However I am not sure this applies to the Anti-Theft component.  I'd also want to know they had something specific to test to make the locate function work.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
It's worse than I thought.  Even if the screen is off, but not locked, I still get no location until the screen is turned on again.

Any ideas anyone?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
As I said, Android is turning certain things off when the screen is off.
Only Google can change that.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
But that means Anti-theft locate is useless.  That can't be right. I'm sure it worked with an earlier Android version.  As I said before, with the screen off I get the locate text message, and avast responds with the sms to say it's been received.  All that's missing is the 2nd sms to say what the location is.

I wonder whether when the screen is off there's some setting that prevents anti-theft from getting the location, since it seems to be able to receive and send at least one sms.

Does the phone need to be rooted? (I can). 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but are you saying that anti-theft is now unsupported so there is no point in my trying to use it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but are you saying that anti-theft is now unsupported so there is no point in my trying to use it?
AAT gets integrated in AMS Pro, so yes, the standalone version is no longer supported.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
OK. Thanks. I am a Pro user.  Any idea how long it might be before this integration happens?  I was on the beta program and would be happy to do so again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
1. OK. Thanks.
2. I am a Pro user. Any idea how long it might be before this integration happens?
3. I was on the beta program and would be happy to do so again.
1. You're welcome.
2. Nope, but beta testing is already running...
3. Here you go: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB250

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
Thanks.  It seems I'm still in the beta program.  I guess I shall just have to be patient......  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
You're welcome. Cheers.