Author Topic: "Android OS" for 4.4.2 Malware detected by Avast but not detected by others  (Read 3265 times)

REDACTED

I am at a loss in this because this "update" was allowed to install but now Avast keeps detecting it as a malware. I ran Norton and Avira but they do not detect it.

MalwareBytes also detects it as a malware.

Is this a false alarm or is this a valid alarm?

The manufacturer StarMobile says that the max Android version for their Knight Vision unit is 4.4.2 so I keep getting this infection (along with hzt apk file)

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hi, please report it as false positive (one of the options after the detection), our virus lab will get a message and will investigate the issue. Thanks.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hi, here is some update:

Some Chinese mobile devices have spyware right in the system ("FOTAprofider" or "WirelessUpdate"). Avast detects it. More on https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/these-android-phones-could-be-affected-by-adups-chinese-spyware-0175014/

And as it is a part of the system, Avast Mobile Security has no chance to stop its installation or remove it. The only way to get rid of it is device software update; some mobile phone manufacturers have already released such spyware-removing updates.

REDACTED

Thanks for the heads up. Even the StarMobile Care app they have for their devices (Starmobile is the brand) is detected as infected so with Dr. Safety Anti-Virus, etc.

They have reformatted my unit with the "latest" ROM but the updates are coming in as infected files.