Author Topic: ashMaiSv.exe start up problem  (Read 4203 times)

joey_365

ashMaiSv.exe start up problem
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:27:35 AM »
Hi

I'm using Jetico firewall, and have configured the rule to allow ashMaiSv.exe permission. On startup however, I am getting error 10022 (which I understand is the error message for a firewall problem). Obviously this means my email protection does not start. I then entered the Avast console, and turn off protection manually, and then reboot, since the email scanner is turned off there is no error message. If I then turn the email scanner back on manually, after a restart, everything works perfectly. It's almost like Avast is trying to start ashMaiSv.exe before the firewall has let it through, and hence is blocking it. Is there anything I can do ? I can use my email scanner, but it's a pain to have to start in manually, and I don't want to forget to turn it on and run the risk of letting something nasty pass through.

Thank you for your time.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: ashMaiSv.exe start up problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »
You Could try removing ashMaiSv.exe from the Jetico firewall list reboot
Start your mail program and give the ashMaiSv.exe permission again
not sure if this will work but worth a try
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »
Jetico brought this problem for me too.
It's strange how 'slow' Jetico loads and start allowing the programs and services to connect.
The avast Mail Service is configured to manually start by default but could be configured to Automatic if this help in anyway.
I see no way to delay the antivirus loading and calling for its services...
The best things in life are free.

joey_365

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I tried the advice from tednelly, but it continues to occur.

Tech........ Thanks for the reply.

Yes Jetico does seem slow to allow processes, I already start the email scanner automatically on boot, although at the moment I have to start it manually to stop getting these annoying error messages. Unless when you say "could be configured for automatic" you are referring to something else ?

It looks like for the moment I will have to live with starting the email protection manually, on boot up.  :-\

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »
It looks like for the moment I will have to live with starting the email protection manually, on boot up.  :-\
You could use Startup Delayer and add an entry for ashMaiSv.exe to 60 seconds after boot. But, after all, you'll have to let the startup method to manual and, maybe, the message will continue to appear...
It's a pain.

joey_365

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 07:12:46 PM »
You could use Startup Delayer and add an entry for ashMaiSv.exe to 60 seconds after boot. But, after all, you'll have to let the startup method to manual and, maybe, the message will continue to appear...
It's a pain.

Thanks for that Tech, I tried it but it didn't work. I may have to sort out a different firewall, but thanks for all your efforts.  :)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:10:54 AM »
It's a pain.

Thanks for that Tech, I tried it but it didn't work. I may have to sort out a different firewall, but thanks for all your efforts.  :)
Hi joey the only time you need ashMaiSv.exe to start is when you load you Email Program ashMaiSv.exe
is desidned to start only when you need to download your mail not at boot time unless you have found a way to download your mail while you boot  ;D
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »
ashMaiSv.exe is desidned to start only when you need to download your mail not at boot time unless you have found a way to download your mail while you boot  ;D
This could be done by certain email or spam programs that download at system account.
Spamihilator could run as a service and check mail as this...

joey_365

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 04:15:50 PM »
Stangely enough, I reloaded the default rules in Jetico and restarted from scratch. It puzzled me why things were working fine, and then suddenly didn't. Maybe something was misconfigured somewhere before, but as I write this, everything is working ok. Maybe I did something wrong in the system rules, possibly not having certain system rules high enough in the list. I'm no expert in rules based firewalls, but it "could" be related to svchost being to far down in the list of processed rules.