Author Topic: Avast Free Test failed  (Read 8245 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free Test failed
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Hi,

I was running some tests on the Avast Free v17.3.2291 (I've just reinstalled it) and I tried to do these tests: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB32

However, the web shield worked. But the File System Shield did not worked. I have the component active. What could be wrong? I didn't change any settings, it is out the box.

I have another question. Having an active firewall, it is necessary to have web shield active?

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: Avast Free Test failed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
To add another thing. The problem is the real time protection. If I scan the file manually, it detects.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
To add another thing. The problem is the real time protection. If I scan the file manually, it detects.
Then it is working.
Remeber this is just a text string, not a executable file so you cant test all functions

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »
Then it is working.
Remeber this is just a text string, not a executable file so you cant test all functions

The manual scan is working, but the real time protection apparently is not. In the Avast website there is a guide to test the real time protection (not manual scan). I've used the guide (again, from the Avast website) and it fails. How can I be sure that the real time projection is working since the test (provided by Avast) failed? Or the guide is wrong, or the real time projection is not working correctly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
Hi,

I was running some tests on the Avast Free v17.3.2291 (I've just reinstalled it) and I tried to do these tests: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB32

However, the web shield worked. But the File System Shield did not worked. I have the component active. What could be wrong? I didn't change any settings, it is out the box.

I have another question. Having an active firewall, it is necessary to have web shield active?

Yes it is absolutely necessary to have the web shield enabled. Your own test shows that, the web shield test worked and your firewall didn't bat an eyelid. They are looking for completely different things.

You don't say what eicar file was being tested ?
Some won't be scanned by the file system shield immediately as they don't present an immediate risk eicar.txt or eicar.zip for example. But the context (right click) menu scan will scan all files.

Without more information it is almost impossible to say what happened.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
You don't say what eicar file was being tested ?
Some won't be scanned by the file system shield immediately as they don't present an immediate risk eicar.txt or eicar.zip for example. But the context (right click) menu scan will scan all files.

Without more information it is almost impossible to say what happened.

This is the guide I used: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB32#idt_02

The step 4 failed. I've download the file normally, I even try to open the file, but no alert pop-up appeared. It should appear a pop-up, like it is described on the step 4: "An alert pop-up message appears above the Avast orange-ball icon with the text Threat Blocked, which indicates that Avast 2016 real-time protection is working properly on your computer."

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
It it helps, I have windows 10. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still didn't worked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Well I have just tested it using my system with 17.4.2292 (beta build) and the web shield off so it could be downloaded. I downloaded the http and https eicar.com files and no alert with the web shield off, which I expected. But no alert for new files being added to the system by the File System Shield.

Ordinarily I would expect the avast file system shield to scan a .com file, however it didn't. But although it has a .com file extension it isn't actually a .com file as it only has the eicar text string within the file, in effect just a text file.

Another hiccup (possibly), I have XP set to query the launch of all executable files and that stepped in before being able to run it.

I can only assume that avast is looking for the file type marker inside the file to indicate what file type it is rather than just look at the file name (which can easily be changed to fool users).  This assumption needs clarification by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
Well I have just tested it using my system with 17.4.2292 (beta build) and the web shield off so it could be downloaded. I downloaded the http and https eicar.com files and no alert with the web shield off, which I expected. But no alert for new files being added to the system by the File System Shield.

Ordinarily I would expect the avast file system shield to scan a .com file, however it didn't. But although it has a .com file extension it isn't actually a .com file as it only has the eicar text string within the file, in effect just a text file.

Another hiccup (possibly), I have XP set to query the launch of all executable files and that stepped in before being able to run it.

I can only assume that avast is looking for the file type marker inside the file to indicate what file type it is rather than just look at the file name (which can easily be changed to fool users).  This assumption needs clarification by avast.

Thank you for your replication of the issue. Avast should scan the new file, but it didn't. I hope avast could shed some light on this.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
That is intentional behaviour:

To make things faster (or rather to slow down the system less), some of the scans are postponed, they are not happening immediately.
So if you just write eicar to disk (and don't do anything else with it), it may not be scanned right away, but rather later. If you touch the file again after writing, it should be scanned synchronously at that moment (if it was actually scheduled to be scanned).
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
That is intentional behaviour:

To make things faster (or rather to slow down the system less), some of the scans are postponed, they are not happening immediately.
So if you just write eicar to disk (and don't do anything else with it), it may not be scanned right away, but rather later. If you touch the file again after writing, it should be scanned synchronously at that moment (if it was actually scheduled to be scanned).

Two things:
  • If this is normal behavior, the guide made by Avast is wrong.
  • But, in the test I and DavidR made, we try to open the file and it didn't alert it. It should detected when we try to open the file, right?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
<snip>
  • But, in the test I and DavidR made, we try to open the file and it didn't alert it. It should detected when we try to open the file, right?

That is correct.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
That is correct.

So there is a problem with File System Shield?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
That is correct.

So there is a problem with File System Shield?

Give me a few minutes, I'll test it and escalate to the devs if there's a problem but it could just be the file as DavidR has said.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
<snip quote>
Thank you for your replication of the issue. Avast should scan the new file, but it didn't. I hope avast could shed some light on this.

You're welcome.

1.  Although my assumption needs clarification - avast will scan executable files that have had the file type changed to say a .txt file type as windows (I believe ) doesn't rely on just the file type to see what should launch that file. If avast are doing this it is reasonable to believe they would do the same for .com files that are actually text files.

One thing for sure is it would be confusing for users if they start to run the eicar test.

2.  As Alikhan mentions it is reasonable to delay the scan when it is written to disk (as it isn't active), but you experienced more than that it didn't scan it when executed (also confirmed on my system).

If this is the current practice then avast needs to change the avastUI > Component > File System Shield settings as this states 'Scan files when writing' (default enabled). When a file is saved to disk (download) it is written to disk, so a user would expect it to be scanned.