Author Topic: Not enough information  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Beamer1

Not enough information
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:52:23 PM »
Two things really,
1. Every time I open my browser, Avast pops up and says that I have a toolbar with a bad reputation (or something similar) The only thing it lets me do at that point is Repair.. It doesn't say what the problem is so i can decide if it really is a problem or not, or alert me as to a rogue toolbar. (I have no tool bars added which makes this a bigger mystery)
2. It tells me that the UK dictionary is not trustworthy based on others, but gives me no way to vote or exempt it. I like this dictionary and have had zero trouble with it at all. I can't find a better one, so I'd like to keep it.

Thoughts?

Beamer Smith
Out on a limb, sawing Madly

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Not enough information
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »
Personally I have never installed the Browser Cleanup as I don't feel I have ever installed anything with a bad rep or untrustworthy as I check things out before they are installed.

I have an aversion of any sort of cleanup tool that doesn't:
A.  Give you full information on what it has found.
B.  Gives you the option deselect anything it would take action on.

I used to use the UK Dictionary, I can't recall when I dropped that (possibly unsupported after a certain versions of firefox).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
There is nothing stopping you from keeping that dictionary add-on.
If avast flags it is having a bad reputation (which is build up on many things, not just a user rating), and you believe it is wrong, tell avast about it and they will have a look.
If needed / wanted, they will change things so the BCU will not alert for it anymore.

Offline Beamer1

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
I just dismiss the complaint about the dictionary.. but it doesn't give me a way to report my displeasure.. not one I can find at least
But the complaint about the "toolbar"  is harder to get rid of and without nore poop, I do not know what to do about it.. I tried clicking on "deal with it" but the very next time I open chrome -there it is again.
The "new" lay out is a bit too "easy to use" in that it gives no information and expects us to just "trust us".. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0