Author Topic: Unable to renew Avast Free Antivirus  (Read 8449 times)

REDACTED

Unable to renew Avast Free Antivirus
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
Hi all, my first time using this forum, hope I am doing it correctly.

I am currently on Avast Free Antivirus program version 17.3.2291 (build 17.3.3443.0) on a Windows 10 64-bit computer. My free antivirus subscription is ending in 18 days. Under the Status page, it indicates that "Uh oh. Your license is about to expire. Renew". I clicked "Renew", which brings me to the page to select either Avast Free Antivirus or Avast Internet Security. I selected the free antivirus. The page will then ask me whether I would like to try the premium protection for 20-day trial and I would click "No, thanks". However at this point it will just go back to the Status page with no further prompts.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, but when I reinstalled, they automatically detected by current subscription with 18 days left. Therefore I have been unable to request for a new license through the program.

I have tried going to https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php to request for a free 1 year license. However, the license sent to my email is 27 characters long (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-YYYYYYYY), while the place to insert subscription code (Settings - Subcription - Insert Activation Code) only allows for an 18 characters long code (XXXXXX-YYYYYY-ZZZZZZ).

I have been using Avast Free Antivirus for years and this is the first time I had such an issue.
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Unable to renew Avast Free Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
avast will not detect a current license if you truly un-installed/re-installed it.
That can only happen if you did not remove everything.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
avast will not detect a current license if you truly un-installed/re-installed it.

Hi! So how do I truly un-install avast?
I have already used the uninstall utility to no effect https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Offline Jindra Kosek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

Hi! So how do I truly un-install avast?
I have already used the uninstall utility to no effect https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Hi, thanks you for report bug, re-install will not help for this issue, you must wait until your license expired and activate/renew again or you can wait until the problem is resolved and release for beta channel.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
I am having the exact same issue on 3 computers
Continual recyles or the registration / renew / activate
At first the activation / renew used to go to a page asking to upgade - with NO option to continue with the free version
After a reinstall it offers the free option however on clicking No thanks the screen disapears and I am still left with 16 days left

Is this registration issue going to be fixed or are you no longer going to be offering the free version?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
Just an update of how my issue got resolved.

I waited till my free license has expired and then proceeded to activate it again. The Avast interface still show the same problems, where they prompt you to choose between Avast Free Antivirus or Avast Internet Security. After selecting the free antivirus and selecting 'No, thanks' to the premium protection 20-day trial, it will just go back to the Status page with no further prompts.

However a few seconds later they reactivated my license for Avast Free Antivirus for another 365 days!

So basically, you would have to wait until your free license has expired before you reactivate it for another year of free antivirus.

Hope it helps!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:07 AM »
Hi, thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0