Author Topic: How do you exit Avast?  (Read 5472 times)

REDACTED

How do you exit Avast?
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
Yeah, I know that is probably the weirdest question you've ever heard... Why have an anti-virus installed if you want to exit it, right?

For some reason, just now when I was updating X-Split Gamecaster... Gamecaster refused to properly update unless 5 programs were closed. Among these were Dropbox.exe and Avastui.exe. I told Gamecaster it could terminate the programs, which it had no problem with other than avastui.exe.

I suspect it wanted to update some common component all 5 programs were using, so I looked for a way to manually close avastui.exe... including trying to terminate it through taskmanager. No go. I ended up having to uninstall it.

I am now in the process of reinstalling avast... -.-.

For future reference, is there a way to close avastui.exe temporarily?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How do you exit Avast?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
You can enable/disable the schield in the settings as well as through the right click menu if you right click the avast icon in the taskbar.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
You can enable/disable the schield in the settings as well as through the right click menu if you right click the avast icon in the taskbar.

As far as I'm aware, Disabling the Shields, won't disable the avastUI.exe (in the same way it doesn't remove avastSvc.exe) as the OP is asking. 

That is your way back in to enable the shields.

@ AussieEevee
The avast self-defence module would stop avastUI.exe from being removed. You would have to disable that first avastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting > uncheck the 'Enable Avast self-defence module' option and acknowledge the on-screen confirmation. Then you should be able to disable/kill its running task.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
The UI doesn't need to be disabled.
Just the shield/protection that is causing the problem is enough.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
The UI doesn't need to be disabled.
Just the shield/protection that is causing the problem is enough.

That's the problem as the program (according to the OP) is specifically asking to disable it. Which leads me to believe the program isn't that clever or it would have been asking for avastSvc.exe not avastUI.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »

As far as I'm aware, Disabling the Shields, won't disable the avastUI.exe (in the same way it doesn't remove avastSvc.exe) as the OP is asking. 

That is your way back in to enable the shields.

@ AussieEevee
The avast self-defence module would stop avastUI.exe from being removed. You would have to disable that first avastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting > uncheck the 'Enable Avast self-defence module' option and acknowledge the on-screen confirmation. Then you should be able to disable/kill its running task.

Indeed. I tried disabling the shield first, which didn't work... and I was confused because I did expect that to be the problem.

Thanks for this. I'm not sure why it wouldn't update while it was running. Bit of a pain.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »
You're welcome.