Author Topic: News stories used to bait ......  (Read 3104 times)

CharleyO

News stories used to bait ......
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:47:43 PM »

Attackers are sending e-mail messages with news stories to trick people into visiting sites that exploit a recent IE flaw.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6056217.html?tag=nl.e589

Someone recently started a new thread about anti-keyloger programs. I wonder if this had anything to do with it and, if so, why this was not mentioned? Well, maybe it was just concern over other malware using keyloggers.    ???

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:13:03 PM by CharleyO »

CharleyO

Fighting fraud by baiting phishers ......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »

One tactic Cyota is using to help protect its banking customers is to pump such fraudulent Web sites with so many fake entries that the genuine details are harder to find ......

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6056317.html?tag=nl.e589

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: News stories used to bait ......
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:47:45 AM »
Hi CharleyO,

Yep, there is a developing pattern there. Internet gets more and more to be a playground for criminals. Another scary thing is that in some ways the use of the Internet is getting demonized. Information is leaked in many ways to proof the Internet is an unsafe place for citizens. Think of the Limewire leak incident in the Netherlands recently, blaming P2P-ing services to open up computers to privacy related govt files. Are these the preludes to Internet 2 only open for authorized users that are heavily moderated? Could it be Big Brothers is looking for a pre-text to close in on this arpa-net of old? Too many holes lately, vulnerability windows open further than ajar. Mind you there is a pattern.

polonus
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:49:36 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 01:06:58 AM »

Attackers are sending e-mail messages with news stories to trick people into visiting sites that exploit a recent IE flaw.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6056217.html?tag=nl.e589

Someone recently started a new thread about anti-keyloger programs. I wonder if this had anything to do with it and, if so, why this was not mentioned? Well, maybe it was just concern over other malware using keyloggers.    ???

"Curiosity killed the cat" - which means, do not open e-mails from sources you are not familiar with. There is nothing interesting in those e-mails. It is so unreal to expect that someone is going to send you something nice through the e-mail, like those stupid e-mails promissing you money etc... people are desperate sometimes, so they will open anything that comes into their mailboxes... well, it looks like they have to "burn" few times to be able to say later: "...ok, I will not open this any more, I know how it ends..."

Simple solution... do not open e-mails from people you don't trust, and especially do not click those untrusted links...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:22:57 AM »
Do not open e-mails from people you don't trust
Sasha, sorry the off topic, but I managed my address book and lost your email address... I have only the old old ones...
As you're not reading IM, can you send me an email?  8)
The best things in life are free.