Author Topic: Avast symbol appears on taskbar, nothing happens - virus?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Weiku

Avast symbol appears on taskbar, nothing happens - virus?
« on: May 21, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Hello forum,

I had a very weird Avast-related thing happen to me twice already and it's starting to worry me. I believe the first time was either yesterday or the day before, and the second time just now, at around 1:30 PM. What happens is that I get a blinking Avast symbol in the taskbar, as if it's trying to show me a message or something, but there is nothing to see on the desktop, and if I click on the symbol (or just do nothing), it just disappears, and if I hover over it with the mouse cursor, it doesn't show any content.
I doubt this is normal behavior since I've been using Avast for years and like I said this only happened 1-2 days ago for the first time. Is this a known issue? Can I somehow find out what Avast was trying to tell me? I'm worried that a virus might be suppressing its own warning or something like that :/

Thanks for any help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast symbol appears on taskbar, nothing happens - virus?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »
What happens is that I get a blinking Avast symbol in the taskbar...
Post a screenshot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Weiku

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
Well I can't get a screenshot of it right now because it appears completely randomly, but I can kinda emulate it by just opening Avast, it gives you the same standart symbol: http://i.imgur.com/dvpIa4E.png

It looks like the usual Avast symbol anyway, except it blinks. It's that normal Windows blinking/flashing function that you get with some other programs too under certain circumstances. For example I believe that blinking happens when a new program is started without it being in the foreground, so that you still don't miss it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:42:28 PM by Weiku »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Blinking could mean that a reboot is required. Open the GUI and check.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Weiku

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
No that's not the case. Of course I immediately checked Avast after such a weird thing happening, and it doesn't say anything. Also I never had something like this happen just because a restart is required. If a restart is required, Avast opens a visible window telling you just that, not a blinking symbol that just disappears.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.

Offline Weiku

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
I kinda doubt it has anything to do with Avast being broken, but I tried that anyways. It didn't say that anything was repaired, I just got a message that an "incompatible antivirus program was detected", which is Malwarebytes, but that can't be the problem, I've been using that forever too and it never caused any problems. Aside from that, Malwarebytes is never even running anyway unless I'm actively using it.

Let's see what happens, I'll post again if that flashing symbol reappears, which I kinda expect it will.

Did nobody else ever experience the same thing? Or is this an unknown issue that never happened before?