Author Topic: Fedora Core 5 Installation --Newbie  (Read 15377 times)

Merlin Whitewolf

Fedora Core 5 Installation --Newbie
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:43:51 PM »
I had just installed Fedore Core 5 this week on my Hp Pavilion. I've used avast on my xp os for about a year, so I was happy to see that there's a Linux edition.  :)
I downloaded and clicked the 'open' in firefox's dowloads manager to install the 'rpm' package, but I couldn't get it to run so I could put in the license key. I thought perhaps I was supposed to download the 'tar gz' file, too, so I did. Still no spinning blue globes and no place to install the license key.
I'm a complete newbie to Linux and nearly new to computers, so I realize I am lacking in vast amounts of knowledge. I may have unwittingly made some mistakes in my attempts to install avast.  ???
Please, can someone help me? If you can, would you explain what I should do with details appropriate for my lack of knowledge about Linux/ computers.

Thank you very much.

justin1278

Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation --Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 12:45:35 AM »
Hello,

In the avast! Linux Edition there is only an on demand scanner not a realtime scanner like for Windows.

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:55:48 PM »
Justin1278,
Thank you for replying. Only an on demand scanner? Okay then if it has only limited capability and I can't enter the license key, how do I uninstall it? :-\
As much as I'd prefer to use avast, I need a scanner I can use when I need it. I have friends and family that I want to protect from virii as much as I can.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 02:03:58 PM »
Justin1278,
Thank you for replying. Only an on demand scanner? Okay then if it has only limited capability and I can't enter the license key, how do I uninstall it? :-\
It's not a limitation. There isn't a Pro version for Linux.
Linux does not 'need' an on-demmand scanner. There is no 'viruses' for Linux right now. The scanner will allow you to scan the Windows partitions.
The best things in life are free.

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
Let me put it another way then, I have family and friends who use windows. I want to scan for and clean virii in order to protect them. I care about them. I know there are no virii out there for linux.
But I cannot access avast to scan or to put in the license key. I need to know how to access it so that I can do those things, or I need to know how to uninstall it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »
Let me put it another way then, I have family and friends who use windows. I want to scan for and clean virii in order to protect them. I care about them.
So, you just need to install the Windows version (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html)

But I cannot access avast to scan or to put in the license key. I need to know how to access it so that I can do those things, or I need to know how to uninstall it.
What do you mean, you're using the Home version (Windows) and cannot manage it?
If so, better is to post on Windows forum and not in the Linux Forum...

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 10:28:29 PM »
"What do you mean, you're using the Home version (Windows) and cannot manage it?"
From my original post - "I had just installed Fedore Core 5 this week on my Hp Pavilion." - Fedora Core 5 is a Linux OS, not windows.  :-\
"So, you just need to install the Windows version." - Not on a Linux PC, surely?
"If so, better is to post on Windows forum and not in the Linux Forum..." - I am using Linux! Or do you mean that in the windows forums they read the posts?  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »
"What do you mean, you're using the Home version (Windows) and cannot manage it?"
From my original post - "I had just installed Fedore Core 5 this week on my Hp Pavilion." - Fedora Core 5 is a Linux OS, not windows.  :-\
You can use avast for Linux and your family avast for Windows... we're talking the same.

"If so, better is to post on Windows forum and not in the Linux Forum..." - I am using Linux! Or do you mean that in the windows forums they read the posts?  ::)
I'm just talking about what you've posted: if your family needs protection in a Windows environment and you cannot install or manage avast!, we can help you but the better place will be Home/Pro forum. On contrary, if the problem is in your Linux HP Pavilion, then you're right, this is the forum to post. So, what exactly is your problem?  ;)

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
As I said, I cannot open avast to put in the license key nor to scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 11:13:36 PM »
Is there any error message?
Did you follow the installation instructions?
Are you running the root user of this linux instalation?

justin1278

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 12:05:11 AM »
Hello,

I have personally not used Fedora Core 5 or any previous versions as I have not had much luck with Linux. Maybe tech can help you better.  :(.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:07:25 AM by justin1278 »

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

I knew this would happen.  I was even forward thinking enough to request that the staff post the solution to this problem in advance of the official version being put out for download.  You will have to wait until at least Monday to get this worked out.

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Tech,
"Is there any error message?"
No. Nothing happens.

"Did you follow the installation instructions?"
I read them through several times before starting. I try to always learn the right way first.

"Are you running the root user of this linux instalation?"
Is there any other way to do an installation? If there is, I don't think I need to know it.
For common tasks such as websurfing and checking my emails? Never! Root is a protected "place" and not for everyday use.

Merlin Whitewolf

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 06:26:07 PM »
Culpepper,
"You will have to wait until at least Monday to get this worked out."
Thank you. Waiting until monday will have to do for now, then. Thank you.

And thanks for being a forward thinking person.

Dublin

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 11:15:26 AM »
hi,
there's a new version (1.0.5) availabe. I've fixed some problems when running on FedoraCore5.