Author Topic: Possible interaction issue with Firefox ESR 52.2.0 and Thunderbird 52.2.1  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Alex Farlie

After a recent Avast update, I find that when starting or closing Firefox or Thunderbird, I get an Application error warning about the application being unable to access a specific memory address.

This shouldn't be happening, and I'd like to rule out Avast as a cause before I start making strongly worded phone calls to other vendors.

The bug report on Mozilla's bugzilla is here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1376435

It seems with recent releases Avast's added additional protections (not in itself a bad thing), which may be trying to do "clever" hooking of other applications which is leading to instability. Given that when Comodo Firewall regretably stopped being compatible with Avast, it was down to the use of the "too-clever" techniques used by either package, I have my concerns that it's happened again, this time with a web browser application.

I'm still using the "free" version out of necessity as it's the only one in the marketplace still generally supporting XP SP3.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
After a recent Avast update, I find that when starting or closing Firefox or Thunderbird, I get an Application error warning about the application being unable to access a specific memory address.

This shouldn't be happening, and I'd like to rule out Avast as a cause before I start making strongly worded phone calls to other vendors.

The bug report on Mozilla's bugzilla is here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1376435
<snip>
I'm still using the "free" version out of necessity as it's the only one in the marketplace still generally supporting XP SP3.

I can confirm having this error on my XP Pro Sp3 system previously when I had one of the beta builds. Having just updated avast free to 17.5.2302 I can't recall having seen it so far, but it hasn't been very long since this program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alex Farlie

<snip>

I can confirm having this error on my XP Pro Sp3 system previously when I had one of the beta builds. Having just updated avast free to 17.5.2302 I can't recall having seen it so far, but it hasn't been very long since this program update.

Beta of Avast or Beta of Firefox? 

I'm running on 17.5.2302 and I'm still seeing the error, even after reinstalling Firefox from a brand new download.
I've even gone to the extent of nuking all Firefox profiles in case it was an old add-on creating problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Beta version of avast.

I haven't seen the error for a while, but it would typically happen if I closed firefox or thunderbird using the X / Red spot at the top right of the browser window. It could also happen closing a tab using its close button. 

Upon getting this error displayed, there were times when I allowed it to shut the program down, but after a while I just closed the error window with the X. This left firefox or thunderbird running  without issue after that.

After identifying when this was likely to happen I used the Menu bar Exit function, this didn't seem to result in the error message.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Hello,

I have the same problem with Firefox. Windows XP SP3

I use Adobe Reader 7.0, it's a old program, but it's necessary for my job.  I can't open it.

¡I think the problem is the last update of Avast and the last Update Wdf01009!

Solution please.

REDACTED

Hello,

After upgrading to the latest Avast 17.5
I have noticed the similar problem with Firefox 52.2.0 ESR while closing an application

Instruction at 0x7c9100e8 referencing memory at 0x0000000010.
                Memory can not be "read")

then with Chrome while closing!

then with Internet Explorer while closing!!!.

So it seems to be a Windows component error which is used by all these applications on close.

Any solution from Avast support?

Andy

Offline hannon31

Hi guys.

I am also having this problem with both Firefox and Chrome (the error message when closing the browsers), and I am also using XP SP3.

But I have noticed the problem going even further, as on pages such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc., the images and videos on the pages are not loading properly or even loading at all !

This has only started after I did the latest Avast update. Before that, all was well. Now, everything is a mess.

Any ideas on what this problem could be and if Avast will send out a patch to correct all this ?

Thanks !

REDACTED

Hello,

My problem with Firefox Chrome and IE (closing with memory referencing error) disappeared without any intervention.

Probably after system reboot...???

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hello,

My problem with Firefox Chrome and IE (closing with memory referencing error) disappeared without any intervention.

Probably after system reboot...???

Regards

I believe this was resolved by a micro update in the Virus Definitions (VPS) update.

It also went on my XP system with no intervention required.