Author Topic: Ransomware Concerns  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
Ransomware Concerns
« on: June 30, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »
Hi All

Seen an Article that by Windows 10 Fall Creators update, Windows Defender is gonna have Ransomware protection with Controlled folders, like My Documents, Music, Downloads, videos and etc,  yet Avast decided not to include the Protection in the Free Version,  I really really don't wanna have to end up switching to Defender by Windows 10 Fall Creators update, as I won't feel as safe than I do with Avast, as Avast has cybercapture, webshield, mailshield, and excellent protection, I've been using Avast since version 4.7 sometime around 2006 I started using Avast Free for all the Desktops here and laptops and Cell phone soon as I got an Android phone.

I know it's a marketing decision most likely to have that protection only in Internet Security and Premier but I can't really afford to upgrade all systems to the higher protection version, on a fixed income, just paying the bills is tough enough, but I do want excellent protection for Computers since i'm on the PC all day doing various things from gaming to video editing, to listening to music.

Just my two sense on this matter

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

REDACTED

Re: Ransomware Concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:01 AM »
the new ransomware module is just an extra layer of protection. The main ransomware shield is the behavior shield, also ever heard of Anti trust laws?. Microsoft will intentionally make windows defender weak so it will not compete effectively with the other antivirus software in the market or they will face a penalty. Windows defender will only provide basic protection and that's it.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:12:33 AM »
Ohh settles down then, and doesn't switch to Defender in that case when Fall Creators update comes out.   Do panic at times and jump the gun sometimes

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:20:52 AM »
also ever heard of Anti trust laws?. Microsoft will intentionally make windows defender weak so it will not compete effectively with the other antivirus software in the market or they will face a penalty. Windows defender will only provide basic protection and that's it.
That's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard, if you look at the latest test results Microsoft Defender is doing exceptionally well and up there with the best of them.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:19 AM »
the same goes for windows media  player - lack of codecs to play certain video formats, playback performance is not great, lack plugins
                              windows paint - basic image editing. does not offer much
                              windows dvd burner - cant burn videos larger than 512 mb, lacks features
                              windows movie maker - basic video editing lack features
                              windows firewall - basic firewall protection. Very sufficient for normal users but not for the corporate ones.

all windows pre installed softwares are nerfed. "Anti trust" law

windows defender - basic protection.Sufficient for PRO computer users that had the common sense
                              to not click malware infested emails and malvertising ads. Also knows a lot of geek stuff.               
                              For me, defender is there to protect u until you can find a better antivirus software.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »
windows defender - basic protection.Sufficient for PRO computer users that had the common sense
 to not click malware infested emails and malvertising ads. Also knows a lot of geek stuff.               
 For me, defender is there to protect u until you can find a better antivirus software.
You must still be thinking Defender of old :-\ Defender on Windows 10 is a different beast and as mentioned performs exceptionally well in tests, the latest real world tests at AV Comparatives it scored 99.5% :) Don't forget all these companies share their information ;)

Windows firewall is also very good if you know how to set it up and there are third party add-ons that can make it's usability easier if needed.

As for the other software's you mentioned they are off topic here though I guess you have limited knowledge in the functionality and use of these products as though they can be more cumbersome and difficult to use sometimes they are generally capable of doing everything if you know how

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm also thinking to switch to windows defender this Fall.
At least they could introduce in the free version a ransomware protection limited to the default documents and pictures' folders as Rejzor proposed in the beta thread. That would give a basic protection for free users, while paying users could add as many folders as they wish.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:05:15 PM by garrett »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
windows defender already had a bad record in av comparatives ranging from 80% to 85% in recent years. Now that they reach 95.5% malware detection doesnt mean that they become the better AV. They need to maintain those numbers up a couple of times to become one. Viruses change so does the detection.

Not just windows defender, Microsoft security essentials had a bad record too.

Fall creators update: Defender doesnt have the aforementioned ransomware protection module that u guys said.
Although, it will be much better than before and will have shields similar to avast free that tries to prevent ransomware(LOL).
Differences? Whitelisting, Sandboxing of Edge/IE browser and better Statistics/Reports UI.
Microsoft will have an UPPERHAND here considering the samples they take from the privacy deprived windows 10 pc's. Lets
also take the consideration of how well they know the inner workings of the Windows OS.

Also im just explaining to you how anti-trust works and that involves those softwares that i mentioned.

Microsoft did not made a misplay here. They also have the right to protect their product: Windows OS. Its gonna get heated from here involving multiple Antivirus companies getting rekted out and there will be no more to choose from XDhhahaha. Its for the better I suppose.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
Well I don't mind Windows 10 Pro, but this discussion isn't on Windows 10 Issues, It's the Controlled Folders option coming in the Fall via Fall Creators Update to Defender,  And if I make a mistake on my security, then my fault and I just restore my system image I have taken, and have machine back to normal,  in addition to backing up data weekly and I should be fairly safe I would imagine

I know Windows Defender hasn't always had the best AV comparative ratings, but might just take my chances in the fall, not sure yet at this point. 

With my daily use of Windows 10 Pro x64 bit

Gaming
Web Browsing
Music listening
sometimes video editing

I think i'd be ok with whatever I end up choosing in the end possibly, totally not sure yet, and trying to make the best decision for my needs

Main thing is I want decent protection for all Home systems, and Android Phone and such,  be it with Avast or Other Product

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:47:00 PM by Patrick2 »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »
Fall creators update: Defender doesnt have the aforementioned ransomware protection module that u guys said.
But that is not true. Windows Defender now performs very well and has all the required modules to defend against all kinds of malware, that includes ransomware.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:47:53 PM by partha_user »

Offline RedFan

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »
Avast free already protect very good against ransomware with his behaviour shield, i have seen several vids were avast killed many different ransom.
The Ransomshield in paid is just another extra layer.
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »
Ok That is Good to Know RedFan,  Sticks with Avast Free in that case, and relaxes totally