Author Topic: VRDB?  (Read 2259 times)

JerryM

VRDB?
« on: April 15, 2006, 03:40:42 AM »
I have installed the home version of Avast. I wonder how I can know if the VRDB has made a back-up data base? I have started it to make the back-up, but it never stops spinning. It went an hour the other day. I have it on now, and after 10 minutes it is still going.

How long does it take to make the back-up, and how do I know that it has done so?

Modified.

Evidently it completed the action as it stopped spinning. Is there a way to tell when the last back-up was done?

Thanks,
Jerry
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:31:33 AM by JerryM »

CharleyO

Re: VRDB?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:39:12 AM »

Welcome to the forums, JerryM.    :)

Depending on various things, it may take some time for a VRDB to complete. If you right click the "a" ball in the Task tray, mouse over VRDB on the menu and then click on What is avast! VRDB in the submenu, a help window will open telling you info about VRDB and the settings for when it is generated. There are 3 options ... Generate Now, Generate when computer is idle, & Generate when screen-saver is running.

I did a VRDB when I first installed avast! but also had something else to do at the time so I just left it alone for a couple of hours while I was busy else where.

I did not choose when computer is idle because most of the time when my computer is running, it is not idle.    ;)

I have mine set to generate when ever the screen saver is running because, for me, this happens on average at least once a day for about 30 mins at a time ... lunch time.  ;) This is also the less intrusive to my other computer habits. So, when it is generated, it may take a few days for a complete VRDB to generate on my computer. But, it gets done and I never notice nor worry about it.

Well, there is a forth option ... disable VRDB generation ... but I would strongly advise against that as there may be serious reprocussions at some later date if you need these files.

I hope this helps you.    :)

justin1278

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:00:24 AM »
To check the VRDB date go to the simple user interface (should start automoticaly with home) and you should see it on the main screen the date by where it says VRDB.

JerryM

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 04:54:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have a better idea of how it works. I finally got it to complete. I guess it took longer than I anticipated, and I wondered if something was not working correctly.

Have a good Easter weekend.

Jerry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »
The first time you run it, it does seem to take longer and also depends on how you initiate it, using either the screen saver or when system is idle could take quite some time.

I have mine set to run under screen saver, but I never run a screen saver, so effectively it wouldn't run. I chose to run it manually as a part of my regular weekly system maintenance, so I run it on alternate weeks which is slightly more frequently than the default setting of 21 days. This way I know when it is going to run and it is quick, for me about 7 minutes for a regeneration of the VRDB.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security