Author Topic: windows turning defender on on startup  (Read 2153 times)

Offline sscohen

windows turning defender on on startup
« on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
I have avast pro installed and updated.  Windows 10 pro is having trouble turning on and I noticed when I did get my computer started it had windows defender turned on even though avast says it's on.  I turn off defender and after a few minutes it shows defender off but avast off also.  So is it on or not?  I also have malwarebytes which shows on.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: windows turning defender on on startup
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
I'm guessing you have Malwarebytes Pro or trial running and set to register itself in the Security Centre as the Anti virus  :-\

You can set Malwarebytes to not register within it's settings, you'll also have to completely exclude all of Avast's and Malwarebytes exe files from each other to prevent conflict, information on mutual exclusions can be found on the Malwarebytes forum.

Once Malwarebytes is not in the Security Centre Avast should then register itself as the AV and Defender will be disabled.

Offline sscohen

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
I turned malwarebytes off from the security center and windows immediately turned defender on even though avast says it's protecting. So I turned off defender and windows security center now shows defender as snoozed and avast off.
What is causing windows to see avast is on?
Thanks

Offline sscohen

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »
I think I found the issues. Even though avast says it's protecting, I went into settings and noticed that the first 5 components were turned off.  I tried turning on but nothing happened except saying I had to restart.  After restarting everything is correct.  All shields on and avast shows on in windows security center.
Hopefully it will stay this way,
Thanks for your help.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
No problem :)

If Avast continues to play up then a repair might be in order or last option would be to re-install it, hopefully it's all good now though.