Author Topic: Avast failure  (Read 6164 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast failure
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »
Tried that David but it didn't work, but thank you anyway. Just wondering, could I delete the current avast and sign up for another one?

You're welcome, give Bob's suggestion a shot.
I would have to say I'm not entirely sure if this might work or not, if Terminal Services isn't running, I don't know if this would change that.

Did you reboot after setting Terminal Services to Automatic ?
It should show it is still set to Automatic and running.  I don't know if you were using a user account with Admin privileges or if that admin permission is required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »
Cursory examination of Bob's advice seems to leave out one key requirement:
  • XP SP3 will require an internet connection when running the full offline installer
  • Vista will also require an internet connection when running the full offline installer
Internet connection will provide additional code needed by both XP SP3 and Vista to run avast properly when installation is complete.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:30 AM »
Thanks for all your help everyone, not good enough to be trying to fix my own computer! I'm done

Offline I_am_AM

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
Hi Rommy320,

Thanks for all your help everyone, not good enough to be trying to fix my own computer! I'm done

I feel your pain and i am fairly confident around computers. Despite your recent issue i would not recommend looking for a different software package as i believe avast is one of the best on the market. all software will have issues at some point. From skimming over the thread i assume avast did work at one point and has only recently stopped working? one thing to try, which is what i did, was to use the avast clear utility to completely clear your computer of avast and then reinstall however when reinstalling choosing customise ( under the green install button) and then the minimal protection option in the drop down box. if avast runs fine with the minimal protection option, then add additional features one by one. In my case i found the ransomware shield was the one causing me problems and by not having that installed my problems went away. hope things work out for you or you find a product that better fits your needs.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
I have Xp and got this on an old computer, a restart usually cleared the problem, but the next time I started the computer would sometimes appear again, it is not always a problem, however,  I uninstalled Avast, removing all traces using Revo and re-installed it.  So far I have had no problems. The old computer does have  it does have Sp3 on it, so try a clean Install.

I also got it once with Windows 8.1 but a restart solved it and I have had no more problems.

I am fully up to date with Avast and MS updates, though I see some waiting for 8.1 today  :-[
Away to get them into that computer now.