Author Topic: web shield  (Read 5679 times)

drhayden1

web shield
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:52:10 PM »
do i have to go to intenet options and connections and lan settings and type in address-local host-----and in port ---12080.......is that a requirement for web shield to work??in the web shield box the last scanned is always changing and i haven't done the local host -- 12080 in the internet options....any advice.....................thanks for all the help in the forum today.....i have had two minor just curious topic questions today ::) :o ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 04:05:36 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: web shield
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
You don't have to set that for Win2k and XP. Judging by the hardware you have i'd say you're running WinXP...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
i just realized that i have to go to internet options and do that local host 12080 .....to get it to work and see detailed action(its working now).....is that ok and is it safe to open up that port and all.....thanks for the quick reply and help ;D......i do have windows xp2....and if i don't use the local host 12080 it won't work!!!! ;D :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 04:46:48 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »
i just realized that i have to go to internet options and do that local host 12080 .....to get it to work and see detailed action(its working now).....is that ok and is it safe to open up that port and all.....thanks for the quick reply and help ;D......i do have windows xp2....and if i don't use the local host 12080 it won't work!!!! ;D :D
Stange, with Windows XP it shoud be transparent, i.e., the scanning should occur at port 80 and NOT at localhost 12080, unless you're using a local proxy application...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:31:50 PM »
i went to that web shield page on avast webpage and it said to use 12080.....how do you copy and paste that here or do you know the one i'm talking about......my isp (i talked to them and said 80 was a NO-NO)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 11:33:44 PM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:43:40 PM »
That web page you talk of is only if you are experiencing issues with the web shield provider, such as running Zone Alarm Pro with its privacy settings at High. Otherwise with XP you shouldn't have to do anything with either web shield or your browsers proxy settings.

Copy and Paste:
Left click and hold it down, Drag the mouse pointer to select the text you want to copy, press the Ctrl (control) and C key together. From the forums post window place the mouse pointer where you want the text to appear and press Ctrl and V together. There should also be Copy and Paste icons in your browser depending on it and how you have it set-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »
Davidr///////i can't get that copy and paste to work.......i'm behind a router and i turned off  that local host 12080 and it was not working and i put it back on and the web shield is working so i might as well leave it alone if it is working?????what do you think.......go to avast homepage and type in web shield in search and you should see it........my isp said it was ok to do it that-a-way??????
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 12:19:02 AM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:30:26 AM »
Some how I doubt your ISP has a clue about how the avast web shield proxy works.
What firewall are you using ?

Cut and paste should work no matter what your behind because you are copying content from one location, web, document, etc. into your clipboard, you then paste it from the clipboard to another location and it shouldn't matter where that location is.

This is roughly what relates to the web shield and zone alarm.
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

- ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Unfortunately I think you have now messed with your configuration and the transparent proxy is disabled, so if you then remover the 12080 setting in your browser then it won't work.

If you aren't using ZA Pro then it would probably be better if you returned avast to its default settings and reset your browser to Direct connection (no proxy.) RejZoR's AEC tool has a function to restore default avast settings, RejZoR's AEC avast! External Control program.

Or you could uninstall avast, reste your browser connection settings, boot, then install avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 05:15:55 AM »
davidr////////////don't use zone alarm...............have windows firewall off and i use my linksys router hardware and software firewall.....................the only way i can get it to work......is the local host 12080.........l watched that video for ie broadband users and that what it says to do....................where is that transparent proxy setting at?????to see if it is enabled????and that external control panel-----where does that download too??...........later.......thanks davidr...........
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:20:44 PM by drhayden1 »

drhayden1

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »
tell you what...............i'm going to uninstall and reinstall my avast!pro and see if it works then!!!!could that do it maybe????????????? ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:39:18 PM by drhayden1 »

drhayden1

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »
-----------IT WORKS------------Why would uninstalling and reinstalling do it and where is that transparent proxy setting at anyway(to check every once and a-while to see if it's enabled) so i don't mess anything up  :D ;D :o and i downloaded that avast! external control zip file program to have it in case of ????
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:46:22 PM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »
It works because it effectively sets everything back to the default settings, so if you have made an error in the things you did.

It is called transparent because you don't have to do anything to set it up in XP, so no need to worry about it, best left alone.

The AEC gives other tools that aren't in the GUI of avast, but like any tool you need to be carefull how you use it. The ability to restore avast default settings without having to uninstall, boot and install is very handy, for those who have tweaked avast to within an inch of its life ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »
thanks davidr.......its  working now and the only thing i did was to go to internet mail and show detailed cause' i use a pop3(incredimail premium and outlook express)also besides a yahoo account.......one question....i thought about  buying and downloading registry mechanic from pctools(pctools.com)regarded as one of the best registry cleaners around........any advice on registry cleaners would be appreciated if you have any knowledge in that??!!!!thanks.....i always appreciate you help here on the avast! forum......... 8) :D have a good one
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 03:22:05 PM by drhayden1 »

drhayden1

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
also sorry one question on that external control program ........what does that avast!tweaker do??mind you-i'm not touching anything since everything is working the way it should now......just curious........and advise on the  registry cleaner thing too if you can!!!!!???????????thanks again>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 03:36:45 PM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
Advice, registry cleaners can seriously screw up your day, I don't know anything about Registry Mechanic (it may well be good) but if it doesn't offer advice on if a registry key is SAFE to remove it is dangerous in the hands of someone that doesn't know about the registry and what effect the removal of some keys will have.

Several registry editors back-up any deletions that they make (some don't) so in theory you can restore the deletion. Unfortunately, you may not be able to get into your system to correct the deletion and restore it. Always back-up the registry before working on it.

Messing with the registry unless you know what you are doing is fraught with danger, you need to have a safety net in a good back-up and recovery strategy.

AEC- avast! Tweaker - Open it and see, but I would suggest you leave the Web Shield one unchecked (default) the others may be helpfull and don't change anything that might cause you any issues.