Author Topic: Avast constant writes to SSD (lscache.dat)  (Read 4503 times)

REDACTED

Avast constant writes to SSD (lscache.dat)
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've just noticed that my AVAST Free is constantly writing to a file called "lscache.dat" located at "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast". And the only component that is active is the "File Shield". The problem is not that AVAST is writing something, but that it writes constantly with a speed of 130KB/s. And a simple calculation reveals that: 130KB * 60s * 60 min * 12 h = 5,616,000KB ≈ 5.3GB writes per day.

I believe the primary purpose of an anti-virus program is to scan your hard drive, not to write to your hard drive.

Any comments on that?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:14:03 PM by veskojl »

Offline stibi

Re: Avast constant writes to SDD (lscache.dat)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
That's not normal. At my computer this file has 3 kB and doesn't change...

REDACTED

Re: Avast constant writes to SSD (lscache.dat)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »
Yes, it's not normal! :)
Even my browser with 100 tabs open is not writing to the hard disk at such rate!
The problem is AVAST writes with 130KB/s every single second, continuously! I would understand if it needed to update "lscache.dat" file every minute, or every 2 minutes, but constant writes is not acceptable.

P.S. Never mind, I've just uninstalled AVAST.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:19:10 PM by veskojl »

Offline OlaNor

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:03:45 PM »
I have tried uninstalling Avast, reinstalling, still problem, uninstalled Avast again and updated Win10 several versions, reinstalled newest Avast version hoping it would work normally.
All in vain, after a few hours of reinstalling Avast, it starts up again(Prob starts at once, but takes a little while till its noticable) and brings my HDD to 100% activity and file grows to insane size after a couple of weeks if I let it.

I have loved Avast and used it for many years, also have many other PCs running it flawlessly. But on this PC it looks like I will have to find another permanent solution.

The troubled version I have used now is "AVAST INTERNET SECURITY" version, but also think I saw the same in the avast free version.

Really sad since i am saticfied with the functionality of Avast, but I cant have a bug in the software hog my system resources and possibly destroying my HDD at some point because of it.

So I really hope Avast can find a solution to this odd behaviour at some point.

(Note: When I do not use Avast, but alternative security software, there is no problem!)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:06:28 PM by OlaNor »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:37 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
Where are you getting the data from to show Avast writes constantly with a speed of 130KB/s.on the SSD?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •