Author Topic: pop-up virus not detected  (Read 1062 times)

REDACTED

pop-up virus not detected
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
 :( As I turned on my browser it froze and a pop-up was telling me that micro soft stopped my browser because of a virus and that I had to call 1-855-287-5222. Believing that this was a scam I ran my Avast scan program and was told that no virus was detected. Since my browser was frozen I had to use an other browser and loaded malwarebytes ( free version ) and ran a scan. it Detected the pop-up virus or malware in 101 places,  quarantined them after restarting my computer and all returned to normal. This pop-up virus has been around for a while. How come AVAST didn't catch it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: pop-up virus not detected
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:03 AM »
That is not a virus, just a scare-ware pop-up.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:27 AM »
well it's still an executable file that got into my computer and I had to use another program other than Avast to get rid of it. I knew what to do but I really have pity for the person that is not use to these sort of things.

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:49 AM »
Fact of the matter is avast does not have PUP (potentially unwanted application) detection turned on by default.You can  turn it on from the settings.Rogues died years ago the only ones who try act that way are applications which are bundled with legit programs.

Also users should realize no AV is perfect due to the influx of 60,0000+ viruses coming out everyday.The user is the first line of defense.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:15:17 AM by TrueIndian »