Author Topic: How do I remove an Avast License file?  (Read 8361 times)

REDACTED

How do I remove an Avast License file?
« on: September 16, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
I have this license file inserted into my avast that I want to remove because I just want to use the free version.  I looked everywhere in the settings and over the web but can't find anything  :-\.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How do I remove an Avast License file?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
Remove the device from your account and delete the file.
Perform a real clean installation of the free version.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
How do I delete the file?  I've deleted it but for some reason its latched onto the program.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »
How do I delete the file?  I've deleted it but for some reason its latched onto the program.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

The file as such isn't inside the program it is the license number that has been inserted/linked into the program. Deleting the actual copy of the license file won't remove that association of the license number in the program.

Whilst doing what Eddy suggested should do the job.
Did you delete the device in your my.avast.com account ?

If you didn't, every time that you connect the new installation to your my.avast.com account, the license could well be reassigned.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security