Author Topic: Error: File is offline - It is currently not available. (42006)  (Read 10025 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Error: File is offline - It is currently not available. (42006)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 02:30:30 PM »
I think we're close to finding the true reason for this issue now.
Thanks for the reports and all the help, hopefully we'll be able to fix it soon.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
On a note, it seems only Windows 10 is effected by this.

Offline Harry S.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
When I come back to this topic, it is very happy to know that the problem is successfully identified.

Thank all for your experience-sharing and Avast for your prompt action

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

New to posting, have used site for research and have searched this issue which brought me here.

HP Envy i7 Laptop running Windows 8.x

Avast -

Virus Definitions - up to date at time of Scan - 10/5/2017 5:04 PM

Program Version - 17.7.2314 (build 17.7.3660.0)

First time I've ever gotten this, with no apparent / known changes to programs / computer other than the latest Update to Avast just prior to running Full Scan - ran with minimal, if any 'non-normally running' progs open...  no browser, etc....

Scan History shows under Results - 'some files could not be scanned'...

With 'Error: File is offline - It is currently not available. (42006).'  being shown for 7 files under Detailed Report.

4 files are HPCDStyles.xbf

3 files are CustomDevice300x75ItemTemplate.xbf

Couldn't find any refs related to the file extension xbf having anything to do with it.

Google found ref to solutions at http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avast-software-s-r-o/avast-antivirus/42006-avast-antivirus-error-42006/ that gets pretty convoluted and hope there's any easier solution or explanation.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what this amounts to and what if anything one should do would be appreciated...

TIA...

sc

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
Any thoughts or suggestions as to what this amounts to and what if anything one should do would be appreciated...
Read all post from Igor in this topic

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:00:03 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »
Read the post from Igor in this topic
Thanks for the prompt response...

Are you suggesting Igor's proposal to run a 'File Scan' or to run the File Attribute prog?

As an aside I've noted one can't highlight and copy a file path directly from the Avast results which is pretty hairy given the lengthy and convoluted paths, at least for the ones I've got...  is there a way I'm overlooking to make things easier?

TIA,

sc

Offline sludge7051-x

• sludge7051-x
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 05:42:25 PM »
What are the ideas on what's causing this?

What's making it see the files as "offline"?

What's the fix? . . . Change one of the Advanced settings? . . . De-install / Re-install Avast?

Offline sludge7051-x

• sludge7051-x
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
I saw that solvusoft page before.  My impression was that it wasn't really addressing the problem, and instead, was taking some error, and just trying to get you to install their software.

I see that they have a fix for 42006 for Turbo Tax also:

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/intuit-inc/turbotax/42006-turbotax-error-42006/

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avast-software-s-r-o/avast-antivirus/42006-avast-antivirus-error-42006/

So, they have their own version of CCleaner they want you to install, and that's their idea of how to fix?  I don't think those actions would do anything.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
Revised content due to me po ol eyes not noting that the Warnings under Detailed Report had a vertical slider bar so instead of the noted 7 files involved there are scorers, if not hundreds so tracking them gets considerably more cumbersome...  hoping there's an overall 'fix' or explanation that there's no problem and it's merely a passing glitch...  yeah right... he wishes... ';)

Duh!  Please excuse this po OF...

sc

Scan History shows under Results - 'some files could not be scanned'...

With 'Error: File is offline - It is currently not available. (42006).'  being shown for 7 files under Detailed Report.

4 files are HPCDStyles.xbf

3 files are CustomDevice300x75ItemTemplate.xbf

WRONG!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
Are you suggesting Igor's proposal to run a 'File Scan' or to run the File Attribute prog?
No i suggest you read all his posts in this topic, since he is from avast and may know what and why

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
I saw that solvusoft page before.  My impression was that it wasn't really addressing the problem, and instead, was taking some error, and just trying to get you to install their software.

I see that they have a fix for 42006 for Turbo Tax also:

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/intuit-inc/turbotax/42006-turbotax-error-42006/

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avast-software-s-r-o/avast-antivirus/42006-avast-antivirus-error-42006/

So, they have their own version of CCleaner they want you to install, and that's their idea of how to fix?  I don't think those actions would do anything.
Thanks Sludge...

My take on this info also, so you've reinforced that, which is appreciated and unless other pertinent info suggests otherwise it will be ignored as I'd figured...

Thanks again...

sc

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
No i suggest you read all his posts in this topic, since he is from avast and may know what and why
Pondus...

I did read all of them, but was hoping to narrow down to the most expeditious course of action as they had turned into a 'stream of consciousness' thread more or less, which is not a criticism at all as it's the nature of the back and forth when chasing these kinds of issues...

I will definitely go back and reread and digest his comments and suggestions and see if I can muddle thru a solution... if I have any luck I'll let y'all know if that's of any help, or if not... reckon I'll come back begging fer some more guidance...  ';)

Unfortunately I've got to take care of other stuff right now and will have to put this aside until later...  arrrggghhhhh!!!

Thx to ALL for your patience and input...

sc

Offline Harry S.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
Re: sc69

Yes, you are right. The list involves hundreds of 'unavailable files'. I delete all scan result reports and run Quick Scan again. Usually size of txt report file won't be large, but even after one Quick Scan, the report file already measures in terms of 'MB' (thousand of  'k'), not a few 'k'. 

I appreciate Avast for getting close to the root of problem within a short reporting time. Let's see whether they could fix such error within a few days (as soon as possible). To me, if a lot of files are really skipped for scanning, I doubt those scan may not be a 'reasonably thorough' one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:38:24 AM by Harry S. »

Offline sludge7051-x

• sludge7051-x
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »
Ok, it works now, thx!

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
Ok, it works now, thx!
How's that?

I'm not getting it to pull up a new update version...  what got fixed?  Is there some online Avast to PC comm that coordinates stuff in the background....

Inquiring minds wanna know...  ';)

TIA...

sc