Author Topic: Unable to send attachments  (Read 4900 times)

Tomtom

Unable to send attachments
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:40:31 AM »
I have been using Avast 4.6.473 for several months and now that I am totally rid of Nortons everything seems to work perfectly. Maybe in that time I have never tried to send an email with an attachment but at present I cannot send an email with an attachment unless I turn off Avast.  The help section suggests running the Mail Protection Wizard but unfortunately that does not appear in my Avast program folder. Do any gurus have any suggestions how to set up the mail protection correctly?
Thanks,

Tom

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to send attachments
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:57:54 AM »
Mail Protection Wizard is for Windows 98 and Millenium.
You shouldn't have to run it into Windows 2000 or XP. The scanning is transparently.
What error message are you receiving? I think you can send emails without attachments... am I right?
Which file are you trying to send?
Which is your email program and firewall?
The best things in life are free.

Tomtom

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:54:07 AM »
Hello Tech,
I use Outlook Express, Windows Xp, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm (current freebie). I can send an email without attachments. The emails not going are with one or more jpg attachment and they can be sent only if I stop on access protection. They then get sent as normal with the bar working its way slowly across the send/receive window whereas when Avast is running the bar goes almost all the way across the window and stops until I get the time out msg. I get a time out msg "SMTP server has not responded in 60 seconds...."

Tom

Tomtom

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 04:02:35 AM »
PS I have been trying to send jpg files of from 500kb to 1.2mb alone or as a group and same response

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:52:49 AM »
TomTom,

the avast team, recognizing these email issues, has made significant changes to the email scanning in the current avast 4.7 release.

Rather than solving problems with your old release can I suggest that you update avast to the current release (4.7.827)?  I think you may find relief from the sending problem without any other action.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:41:27 PM »
I get a time out msg "SMTP server has not responded in 60 seconds...."
Depending on your connection speed, size and type of the attached file, 60 won't be enough.
You should use the last avast version as David posted and if you need increase the timeout of both your email program and avast scanner.

You can increase both your avast! timeout: Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)
and your email account timeout (generally, right click the email account, choose properties and the Advanced tab of settings).
See pictures here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17460.msg148474#msg148474
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »
The timeout in the avast scanner is turned off by default in the 4.7 version.  Probably time we stopped telling people to increase something that is not used. 

The intent of that change by avast is to leave timeouts up to the mail client - so Tech's recommendation on extending the timeout in Outlook Express may be appropriate, but those timeouts were caused to a large extent (for long messages being sent) by the way the old avast version worked.

I would still recommend going to the new version and I think you will not need to make any timeout changes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:00:14 AM by alanrf »

Tomtom

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:19:14 AM »
Thankyou both - I will upgrade and if there is still  a problem I'll try a complete reinstall.  I appreciate the quick responses from you
Tom

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »
With avast! 4.6, the progress bar worked as you described. In my case though, the e-mails where still sent even after the time out warning appeared. It didn't matter if I clicked "wait" or did nothing. It was more of an annoyance than anything, having to click wait, so I could get the darned thing of the screen.

As Alan said, get the new version. you will find the progress bar works more in "real time" than it did before. Oh yeah, no more time out messages. ;D