Author Topic: Avast home logging  (Read 5341 times)

bassbag

Avast home logging
« on: December 26, 2003, 06:52:05 PM »
Hi..
Im new to avast (used AVG 6 and 7 previously) and would like to ask 2 questions if i may.Im using the free home edition and no matter where i set logging to on the slider i get no logs.Is this normal for the free version? or just a feature of the pro.
Using w98se
tia
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast home logging
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 07:22:58 PM »
It is not a feature of the Pro version.
Set the slider down (Debug), to the last position, you will have all logs above. But, if everything is right, probably your 'critical' logs will be empty for your luck.

Choose 'Log Viewer' to see them.
The best things in life are free.

bassbag

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 10:16:42 PM »
Thanks for quick response.Ive moved slider to debug.I guess i expected to see something logged such as the warning for eicar test file for example.Ive also tested with a vbs script file but nothings logged under alerts etc.On closer reading of the help files it seems the log files just log programme errors rather than viral alerts or results of scanning.Is this correct?
thanks in advance
me

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 12:25:03 AM »
Hi,

Maybe one of the experts here will correct me, but from the little that's in my own 4-home logs, I get the impression the logs are primarily intended to record problems avast has encountered within itself, or with the system, as opposed to suspicious things that it's turned up in scans.

If you want to see what's been happening durings scans (both resident and on-request), check the Data/Reports folder under the avast folder.  There should be some TXT files there (if you have reporting turned on) which will give you useful histories.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

bassbag

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 12:39:27 AM »
Thanks for info.Yes i think your right about the logging for the system.The eicar file and vbs script is reported in the folder you mention, in resident protection.txt.I like avast as it works well at the moment with my setup,but i hope that maybe some sort of logging may be forthcoming in future.It would be nice to log for example files that avast is unable to scan during a thourogh scan .
Thanks again for reply.
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 02:22:46 AM »
Thanks for info.Yes i think your right about the logging for the system.The eicar file and vbs script is reported in the folder you mention, in resident protection.txt.I like avast as it works well at the moment with my setup,but i hope that maybe some sort of logging may be forthcoming in future.It would be nice to log for example files that avast is unable to scan during a thourogh scan .
Thanks again for reply.
me

bassbag, do not mix 'log' with 'reports'. As was said before, logs are for errors and internal troubles (setup, update, system...) and reports are for viruses found (or errors in scanning).

In the Home version you can store all this information but you cannot 'work' with them after the scan running is finished (rescan a file reported as infected, delete the file...). I mean, you can work and interact immediatly, not after the scanning is finished. In Pro version you could work with the 'results'.

Set correctly the Report options and you will get all avast working with files logged.

bassbag

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 09:59:01 AM »
Thank you very much for clarification.I do have a report pop up after scanning and first of all thought , that it logs into the log viewer somewhere.I now see that as you say its for sytem /internal problems.And youve also pointed out that the extra feature for viewing/working with results of scan are in the pro version which is fine,as avast seems to offer more than any other free av already that ive tried,so im not gonna complain about the logging :)
thanks for reply
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »
avast seems to offer more than any other free av already that ive tried

You could be sure about this...
If you need more help, just let us know.