Author Topic: Detected VBS script.  (Read 5238 times)

bassbag

Detected VBS script.
« on: December 27, 2003, 12:59:37 AM »
Ive tested avast by going to a site that loads a vbs script.Avast detects it and pops up the yellow banner at bottom and the audible warning ,however at that point everything "freezes" and only a a hard reboot is possible i.e switching power off at wall.Im not sure whether the "freezing" is due to avast itself or the actual vbs script.I used avast over a year ago and had some experiences with freezing then when it detected viruses (using 98se).Is it possible to post the link for this malware somewhere on the forum (maybe privatley to a moderator or whatever )so that a second opinion /test by someone more knowledagable than me can be performed to see whether the freezing is due to avast ,the vbs script or maybe something else on my computer?
tia
me

Waldo

Re:Detected VBS script.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 01:30:32 AM »
Well , if this is a trusted (safe) security site (with a test .vbs) your talking about...

I see no harm in posting the link here.

But if you got it from some nasty Warez site, please don't !  ;)

I'm sure you got the point  ;D

I personaly have all scripting disabled, so i can't test run it. sorry.

Waldo
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 01:32:48 AM by Waldo »

bassbag

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 09:52:04 AM »
Thanks for reply.No its path to a jpg at a website , that i presume is nasty , as avast detects the script , and computer completely freezes before the page actually loads.The only thing that then works is control alt delete which shows avast and blackice not responding however.Im not sure wheher this is just coincidence or whether the script tries to disable  the apps.As i ve said ive had avast freeze up on me just detecting the eicar test file in the past (well over a year ago),and wasnt sure whther this script is the main cause or avast or some other app on my computer which doesnt like the site/script.If it is a virus i would expect avast to detect it and offer me options and not freeze the computer completly.Obviusly i would not post the link here , but wondered if theres aplace or person to submit the link to here for further testing.Thanks again for reply
me

mr.morden

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 12:31:57 AM »
well..you can allwayz sniffer the source code before you enter the site

send me the sites address..
ill look at it.

cenilix@hush.ai

bassbag

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 12:03:55 PM »
Thanks.Ive found some more info about the script and it seems to be a "harmless prank" script that opens your cd tray doors .Ivetried it without running avast and it does indeed open your cd draws and thats it,no freezes etc.Ive also run it with avst running and avst detects it as vbs script malware and my computer freezes.Ive closed other apps running that may have caused it e.g boclean ,blackice etc but it does seem to be avst causing the system freeze.This may be a fault with avast or something else on my computer that ive not discovered yet.Ill send you the script to see if anything similar happens.ILL post address to you and makeup of the script.It does appear harmelss though,but id still liek to know what causes avAst to freeze
tia
me

P.S iVE HAD TO DISABLE AVAST TO SEND THE EMAIL CONTAINING THE URL/SCRIPT AS AVAST EMAIL SCANNER DETECTS IT AND SUBSEQUENTLY FREEZES THE COMPUTER.
me
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 12:11:04 PM by bassbag »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 01:45:27 PM »
bassbag, could you send the file (script) to the developers of avast too?

support@asw.cz or support@avast.com
The best things in life are free.

bassbag

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 03:24:59 PM »
Hi technical..
Yes i can send it to avast support , but seeing as avast DOES detect i saw no reason sending it until i can get more info as to whether the freezing occurs on other computers (i use 98se).If it did then then its probably an Avast problem , but its still possible its a fault with something on my system.Also I dont know if theres any support for avst free users?..so i didnt see any pont in sending the script as it does detect it.
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 03:29:51 PM »
Also I dont know if theres any support for avast free users?

Ok, if you want to do more research about the script, feel free...
Anyway, avast does have support for free users... This is why you reach the best antivirus program. Free support and incremental updates.
Wellcome to forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

bassbag

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 03:34:01 PM »
Thanks i didnt realise there would be free support too.Ill send the url/script and explain the problem.
Thanks for your information and help.
me