Author Topic: no support for scanning Chinese directory path  (Read 8644 times)

swisheng

no support for scanning Chinese directory path
« on: May 13, 2006, 11:56:44 PM »
hello, I'm a new user.

I want to know if Avast! support Chinese Directory Path scan. Because if use Avast! 4.7 to scan a chinese named directory, it will tell me that it can not found the path.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 12:02:49 AM by swisheng »

nickzn

Re: no support for scanning Chinese directory path
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 06:18:24 AM »
hello, I'm a new user.

I want to know if Avast! support Chinese Directory Path scan. Because if use Avast! 4.7 to scan a chinese named directory, it will tell me that it can not found the path.

seems I have the same problem

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 06:48:44 AM »
Hello swisheng and nickzn,

Make sure you have the latest version of avast! installed.  Support for folders using non-latin characters was fixed with version 4.7.826 (around April 26, 2006) and there has been another update since.

swisheng

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »
Hello mauserme,

I've got the newest version(4.7.827 - MAy2006), it still has this problem. If I use right click for scanning a folder(with no-latin characters name), it works, but if I do the same Avast! UI,  chooseing the option of scan for folders, adding the same folder, it fails!!!!

swisheng

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »
This is a capture of a scan report withe the newest Avast!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:52:45 AM »
A few questions:
1. What operating system do you use?
2. Supposing you use Windows XP - what's your setting in Control Panel / Regional Settings / "Advanced" / Language for non-Unicode programs?
3. Do I undestand it correctly that scanning these folders using the Explorer extension (i.e. rightclick and select "Scan ..." from the context menu) works, but from the Simple User Interface it doesn't?
4. Did you select this particular folder (containing Chinese characters) alone, or did you select the whole disk to be scanned in Simple User Interface? What if you select e.g. F:\Downloads\Software - does the error occur as well?
5. Does the problem occur for all folders containing Chinese characters, or only for some of them?

Thanks.

swisheng

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:44:01 PM »
1. What operating system do you use?

I'm using WinXP SP2 Professional (Chinese Simplified)

2. Supposing you use Windows XP - what's your setting in Control Panel / Regional Settings / "Advanced" / Language for non-Unicode programs?

This setting is Chinese(R.P. China).

3. Do I undestand it correctly that scanning these folders using the Explorer extension (i.e. rightclick and select "Scan ..." from the context menu) works, but from the Simple User Interface it doesn't?

Yes, you've got it, and sorry for my English.

4. Did you select this particular folder (containing Chinese characters) alone, or did you select the whole disk to be scanned in Simple User Interface? What if you select e.g. F:\Downloads\Software - does the error occur as well?

I selected only the chinese named folder. And I also tried to select a disk partition o some folder witch contain a chinese named sub-folder, then the program throws a GREAT EXCEPTION(typical error advising window which nobody can understand it), and only gives me the option to close (o debug).

5. Does the problem occur for all folders containing Chinese characters, or only for some of them?

I've tried the same operation with several folders(with Chinese name), all of them report the same problem.

Thanks.

Not at all. And I hope my answers would be useful.

swisheng.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »
I selected only the chinese named folder. And I also tried to select a disk partition o some folder witch contain a chinese named sub-folder, then the program throws a GREAT EXCEPTION(typical error advising window which nobody can understand it), and only gives me the option to close (o debug).

You mean the program crashed?? That certainly shouldn't happen.
Was there any detailed crash message? (any module name, address, ...)  What exactly did the exception message say?
Are there any *.mdmp or unpXXXXXXX (X are some numbers) files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 08:39:46 PM »
Strange, I've just tested it with Japanese, and it works OK...

BTW you guys are using Chinese version of avast??

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

swisheng

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
Strange, I've just tested it with Japanese, and it works OK...

BTW you guys are using Chinese version of avast??

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vlk, yes, I'm using Chinese Simplified Version of avast!.

You mean the program crashed?? That certainly shouldn't happen.
Was there any detailed crash message? (any module name, address, ...)?What exactly did the exception message say?
Are there any *.mdmp or unpXXXXXXX (X are some numbers) files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

Recently, I tried again to get more detail of the crash error, and curiously it WORKED when I choosing a folder which contains some chinese named sub-folder, and the error window did not appear. HOW STRANGE! I've done nothing since the last test. How do you explain it?

However, when I select only chinese named folders (one or more), it still returns the same error. I will submit also a screen of this error, though probably you cannot understander it(cos it is in Chinese:-).

* The first screen is the crash error message which I captured last time.
* The second one is the Avast!'s error message which is displayed while scanning a chinese named folder.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »
And the unpXXX files? Are there any such files?

Thx

swisheng

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »
And the unpXXX files? Are there any such files?

Ok, I found them, here are the last two one, if you need more, I can submit another 3 one later.

Thx.

* It's a .zip file, please change the extension and decompress it. (Cos the unpXXXX files' size is more than 200KB)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:47:30 PM by swisheng »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 10:19:24 PM »
Actually, I have one idea about what might be wrong with (some) Chinese filenames...
Let's make an experiment ;) - please do the following:

1. Open Notepad
2. In Windows Explorer, open one of the folders logged in avast! error log
3. Copy it's filename into Notepad (but don't retype it - make sure you use copy&paste from Explorer to Notepad)
4. Save the content from Notepad to a file, using the Unicode encoding (you can specify it in the Save dialog)
5. Attach the file here.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:33:25 PM »
By the way, the log looks interesting... it seems like some kind of memory corruption.

Any idea if we may reproduce the problem here? Exact steps?
And when does the problem occur, exactly? Immediately after starting the scan?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »
Also, could you please send me your file <avast>\data\avast4.db?
Please send it to my email address (click the envelope icon below my avatar to do that).

Thanks
Vlk