Author Topic: about Avast detection rate  (Read 11291 times)

mauserme

Re: about Avast detection rate
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:12 PM »
It encourages open discussion of avast's strengths and weaknesses.
Just my opinion: they don't need to be encouraged. They need to be alerted of specific problems and weakness, ask for new features, etc.

Hi Tech,

What I meant is open discussion between avast! users.  I think you and I are agreeing but using different words.

M

mouniernetwork

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
Then if the engine is the problem perhaps it should have a second one like kaspery .

MounierNetwork

toanjp

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »
I am happy with Avast. I uninstall my Symantec corp 8 to install Avast cause Avast outperform in terms of trojan detect

mouniernetwork

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 12:34:23 AM »
Even Symantec is focusing on spywares , Why isn't avast ??
I mean if Symantec Can do it so can Avast and also it would bring Avast up .
Great Detection + the already super shields = Best Antivirus
This year Avast won the SC awards but Symantec is kicking in to get it next year so they might had a few feature which could make them win.(and that would be a real shame)

But also for the engine problem that was talked about earlier my suggestion is using an other engine,KAV is doing it right now !!

MounierNetwork

mauserme

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 08:43:54 AM »
I am happy with Avast. I uninstall my Symantec corp 8 to install Avast cause Avast outperform in terms of trojan detect
Not to mention those once per week updates the last time I used Symantec Corporate Edition.  Just never seemed often enough for my taste.

Even Symantec is focusing on spywares , Why isn't avast ??
I mean if Symantec Can do it so can Avast ...
I'm sure avast! can, but if its at the expense of becoming a memory hog I would rather they leave the spyware to Spybot et al.  I mean, I'm all in favor of improving the program and more detections are a part of this, but one of the things I like about avast! its is low memory usage.

I see it this way - there are AVs like Norton and McAfee that fill a consumer niche.  These are for computer users who don't want to be involved in the process.  They just want to surf the net and get their email and expect the computer to do these things when they turn it on.  Norton and McAfee allow this to happen in relative safety but are pretty memory heavy.  This isn't meant as a criticism - just a recognition of one group of users and the AVs they use.

Avast!, on the other hand, fills a need for those of us who want to be more involved and enjoy a deeper understanding of computer security.  Speaking for myself, I like the layered approach to security and feel it gives a level of safety not available when relying on a single product.  I enjoy testing other antimalware products and, like many of the forum members, I have any number of them installed at any given time.

Yes, avast! does have room for improvement but hopefully it will always stay within its current niche.

BTW, you seem to feel strongly about Kaspersky.  I wonder if its possible to have KAV as a secondary, on demand scanner.  I've never used KAV but I do use other secondary AVs.  Just a thought...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:46:09 AM by mauserme »

TAP

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »
If you want AV that offers good detections against adware and spyware, get AVG Professional Edition or NOD32, I think both are good AV that very light on system resources and can effectively protect you from adware and spyware while don't slow your machine down.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:08:26 AM by TAP »

mouniernetwork

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »
Yes TAP ,

I would do that if I was concerned with spywares\adwares and didn't like Avast as much as I do. However the fact is that I do like Avast and I am not that concerned with spyware,however as I noted earlier as time grows people are getting worried about spyware and also new incoming threats so it should add heuristics detections more often to cover those threats.Just think how nice it would be if Avast had spyware detection as well as its current detections.  :o

MounierNetwork

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 04:32:11 PM »

What is so difficult about using a separate anti-spyware program? Avast is a very good anti-virus program. There are not many who want avast to turn into a bloatware program.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
Yes and I am not one of them I am just suggesting ideas to make Avast Better

MounierNetwork