Author Topic: Does AIS, Sensitive Data shield prevent running Xcopy as Administrator  (Read 1583 times)

Offline WK_schnarfl

1)  Is there a way to restart my Win 7 SP1 computer with none, zero, no part of Avast Internet Security starting at all?   How do I do that?

2) Because, I need to figure out what it is that does not let me run a simple batch file that x-copies and backs ups several files in different directories
(none of which are the  My documents, My Pictures, or Downloads directories).   (A directory is also known as a File Folder.)

3) I run that batch file as Administrator.   I get the info:  "Security information not supported by destination file system"  (The "destination file system" is a secondary hard-drive, connected via a USB port.  It's got the same file system as my Windows 7 computer.
It always worked.   It still works.  I can access it via the old "Windows Explorer" and copy and paste individual files from it or to it. 

4) Question:  I have all Avast Internet Security "file shields" and the "Avast Sensitive Data
Protection disabled", and the X-Copy batch file still does not work.  How can I get this
functionality back? 

5) What does "Avast Sensitive Data Protection" actually do, and how can it be reversed?

The version involved is  17.8.2318  (BUILD 17.8.3705.249)
VIRUS DEF VERSION   171202-2

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Does AIS, Sensitive Data shield prevent running Xcopy as Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:43 PM »
1 - You can disable a service from starting using Services (type services.msc into run) and find Avast. You should then be able to change it to manual but I do not recommend you do that.

Does disabling Avast completely via the tray icon make the batch file run?

Without answering all the other questions, lets rule Sensitive Data Scan by temporarily removing it..

Avast UI > Settings > Components > Sensitive Data Scan > Uninstall and then let it remove the component. Reboot.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Does AIS, Sensitive Data shield prevent running Xcopy as Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
You can try to boot to Safe Mode and try xcopy from there -- or uninstall Avast to be sure xcopy doesn't work because of Avast.

Can you recheck your USB filesystem is NTFS? e.g. "fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo x:"
What parameters you run xcopy with? Xcopy copies files/folders differently than Windows Explorer.