Author Topic: Avast keeps reinstalling itself  (Read 5292 times)

REDACTED

Avast keeps reinstalling itself
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Hello. I made a mistake installing Avast on my windows 10 machine, and now i cant get rid of it. I tried deleting it via Programs and Features option in Control panel, i tried using Avast cleanup program. After a few hours Avast shortcut appears again, and when i check - program is installed again.

Even more wierd things - when i tried to uninstall it the third time (using control panel) i keep getting error - Setup is already running, please try to start the setup later. And there is a link to an empty log page. There is no other programs installing or uninstalling, control panel has no troubles uninstalling any other programs

I dont want to say this, but Avast does looks like malware - program should not install itself without my permission. It is also impossible to kill the process with Task manager (even when i open it as administrator). Aslo not having a proper uninstaller inside program folder is a pretty bad move

Edit - And its even blocking my attempts to remove it from startup! That does feel like a virus. Installs itself, cant get rid of it you have no idea what it is doing..

Edit 2 - i also feel like i have to point this out - this is almost completely clear installation of windows 10. Only programs that have been installed are either open source and trust-able, or free (maybe not THAT trust-able) like google chrome
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:14:59 AM by oleg95 »

Offline Halina Mullion

Re: Avast keeps reinstalling itself
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
Did you manage to sort this out as I have exactly the same problem - I can't uninstall Avast free program as says "Setup still running" with an empty log box. I am not sure where to go with this as I downloaded the Avast Clear uninstall program but that did not appear to work.
thanks
Halina

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast keeps reinstalling itself
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »
As long as Avast says "Setup is running" you won't be able to interrupt the setup to uninstall it.

Setup will stop running if you enter SafeMode, use avastclear.exe to do so.

Follow directions exactly here:  https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

To enter SafeMode, double-click the avastclear.exe as administrator (avastclear.exe must be on your desktop).  AvastClear.exe will ask if you want to enter SafeMode.  Click Yes.

Please read this and see if this applies to you:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801