Author Topic: 'Computer Shopper' Antivirus tests  (Read 7611 times)

Offline aa.avast

'Computer Shopper' Antivirus tests
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'd be interested in any comments that Alwil Software may have about recent antivirus software tests completed by 'Computer Shopper' magazine in the UK. 
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/labs/220/anti-virus-exposed/products.html

Avast 4.6 Home Edition came second from bottom with a score of 1 out of 5.  AVG Free Edition 7.1 (the only other free software) scored 4 out of 5.

Just out of interest, I just ran the Kaspersky free online scanner and it found nothing bad on my system, so I still think I have reason to be confident about Avast, but would still appreciate an official viewpoint.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 'Computer Shopper' Antivirus tests
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:29:24 PM »
It has so I would suggest a forums search.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20683.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:41:30 PM »

JerryM

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
aa.avast,

My own view is that the layered approach is the best way to go.

I don't think it is arguable that Avast falls short in the area of trojan detection. But although I use KAV6 on one machine I still use Ewido in real time. It probably isn't needed, but runs well with KAV6.

On my laptop I use Avast Home, along with Ewido. In my view that combination gives me as much security from all malware as I need.
Avast is a fine AV, and I am grateful for the free version.

Jerry

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:41:09 PM »
aa.avast,

My own view is that the layered approach is the best way to go.

I don't think it is arguable that Avast falls short in the area of trojan detection. But although I use KAV6 on one machine I still use Ewido in real time. It probably isn't needed, but runs well with KAV6.

On my laptop I use Avast Home, along with Ewido. In my view that combination gives me as much security from all malware as I need.
Avast is a fine AV, and I am grateful for the free version.

Jerry

Thanks for that, Jerry. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster & Windows Defender in addition to Avast Home, but will have a look at Ewido too.

JerryM

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:08 PM »
You are very welcome.
You might find this thread interesting.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58597

Note the posts #1 and #17. Combined with Ewido, Avast showed a 17% gain in trojan detection. I personally have high confidence in his tests, but am not knowledgeable enough to argue the details. You can make your own conclusions. For me, it makes Avast a viable option for an AV.

Jerry

donki

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:49:33 AM »
There are a number of tests out there, including one i found:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1260/

Different tests have different results.

There is one forum I know where ppl are constantly shouting the merits of NOD32, but at the same time, they're usually the first ppl to submit virus samples to their authors.

From personal experience, avast has failed me twice before, but it's still priced right.

JerryM

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
Hi donki,

I find it somewhat surprising that some folks, when you even hint at a weakness in the AV they use, act as if you have cursed their mothers.

I think that most of us agree that no AV detects 100% all the time, and it is a "catfight" to keep up. But those who have such a degree of loyalty to their AV really shout when it detects or ranks first, but when it does not, then the test was flawed.

Out of curiosity, did you determine the reason that Avast failed? I ask wondering if it was a trojan or a "zero day" exploit, or just did not get it.

Have a good day.
Jerry

donki

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:03:41 AM »
I have avast running on the home computer and pro on the soho computer, and soho was the one which was affected. One was a trojan and the other was a java trojan.

from the forum i know that avast is designed for only catching viruses, but I've noticed that virus updates have signatures with [trj] wording.

when i tested the files @ jotti and virustotal, most of the other scanners had labelled them already.

I hope that criticism will mean that more up-to-date signature releases will be made.  I haven't had an infection for 6 months, but I also use ewido and other online scanners as additional protection. I have to wonder how many protection layers I have keep on using.

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
Thanks, donki.

In the tests I have seen Avast is not very good at trojan detection.
That is a good reason to use it with Ewido running real time.

As I said in another post, the addition of the Ewido layer increased the detection of trojans from 77.9% to 95.6% in one test, and the only one that did such a test.
 using a layered defense.

In my mind that is significant. I would not settle for a 77.9% detection rate, but am pleased with the higher number. I am/was willing to buy Ewido after I saw the difference. I am only concerned with the total protection, and not "which one does it."

I appreciate your response.
Jerry