Author Topic: Mail Scanner  (Read 5578 times)

bruderda

Mail Scanner
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:18:11 AM »
Lately I've been getting this icon in my system tray appearing and disappearing frequently called "avast! Mail Scanner" but I have no idea what it is doing. When I click on the avast! On-Access Scanner and then click on Internet Mail, it says it is scanning some outgoing email with a title and address I do not recognize.
What's going on here?
thanks.

PS- I do not use an email program like outlook, I just check my email at yahoo.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Mail Scanner
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Do you use a peer to peer client (azureus, utorrent or similar) at all?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »
Something is probably sending out unwanted mails. You should scan the disk with avast and/or an antispyware program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »
Unless you have a P2P (peer 2 peer, file sharing) client that might be communicating using email ports (which would likely cause timeout, perhaps not with the new email scanner enhancement PreventTimeout=X ;D) then it would appear that you have a spambot trojan on your system.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode. Ewido Security Suite If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bruderda

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 04:44:39 AM »
DavidR's tip of dling that malware program solved the problem. Thanks so much! That program rocks!
And thanks to the others who replied.

winbuckshot

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:03:57 PM »
I am using avast 4.7 home with windows xp sp2 and was wondering if the mail scanner works with yahoo mail or windows live mail as a addive protection? And if so how would i setup my avast. Replies are good! I really like the program

Rob

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »
DavidR's tip of dling that malware program solved the problem. Thanks so much! That program rocks!
And thanks to the others who replied.
No problem, glad we could help, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »
I am using avast 4.7 home with windows xp sp2 and was wondering if the mail scanner works with yahoo mail or windows live mail as a addive protection? And if so how would i setup my avast. Replies are good! I really like the program

Rob
Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services (unless you pay for the pop3 service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can get round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server.

If Windows Live email is aso web based email, viewed through your browser the same would be true.

winbuckshot

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 05:27:21 PM »
Which type of 3rd party services are available?? for pop3. Would you have any advice or links to follow. I would like to weigh the issue to see if it would be worth it seeing these email providers do scan the email & attachments, just nice to know that the system is protected without the worry of others protecting my pc. Is there any other settings in avast to scan this type of email? Thanks,

Rob

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »
You would have to do a google search for the webmail to pop, email converter type tools.

I personally don't use them but the one I used to mention by all accounts isn't great, but there is another that I have heard of in the forums is hotpopper or something like that.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:24:38 PM »
winbuckshot,

Some new terms we will have to get used to and they (as Microsoft tends to with its naming) will likely cause confusion:

Windows Live Mail .... the new version of Hotmail.  As David says, this will be web based reading of mail and will not be scanned by the avast mail scanner.

Windows Live Desktop ... the new version of Outlook Express.  This will be a desktop mail client just as OE is and, although I have not tested it yet, it says it will include POP3 accounts as well as access to Hotmail.  The access to Hotmail is interesting since it may mean free client access to Hotmail for all again ... we will have to wait and see the details.

As for Webmail to POP3 converters - some names for you to look up:

YPops (free) - allows you to receive and send mail from a free Yahoo account.

MrPostman (free) - allows you to receive mail from free Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail** and a range of other Webmail services. Provides very limited sending on Hotmail.

FreePops (free) - allows you to receive mail from free Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail and a large range of other Webmail services.  Strictly read only - sending is expected to be via SMTP server provided by your ISP.

HotPop (shareware Boolean Dream product) - Allows you to receive/send email from/to WebDav enabled Hotmail accounts.  WebDav means either you pay for your Hotmail account or you have been granted continued free access on some very old free Hotmail accounts.

For Thunderbird client users there is a set of Webmail extensions that allow you to receive/send from/to free Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Lycos, AOL mail and others.

Use of any of these products means that the mail can be scanned by avast.  The only extra issue in avast is that since the POP3 transfer of mail from the program to your client occurs inside your system it is not scanned by avast by default.  To ensure this mail is scanned in the Internet Mail provider:

Customize > Redirect tab > Uncheck the 'Ignore local communications' box.

**GMail - provides secure POP3/SMTP access which cannot be scanned by avast unless a third party program, STunnel, is used to manage the secure session.  Gmail reports that attachments are scanned within GMail, but it does not say that the message body is scanned.  The above services access GMail via the web interface and convert the mail to POP3 - so avast can scan the whole message.

A final word of warning.

Almost all of these programs (except HotPop and the support for WebDav Hotmail accounts in the Thunderbird extensions) work by what is called "screen-scraping".  Behind the scenes they have to perform the web transactions in a similar way to what you would do to access your mail via the web.  The program then interprets the responses converts them to a POP3 stream suitable to be read by your mail client.  This oversimplifies a bit - but is essentially correct. 

The downside of this is that every so often a Webmail service will change the way its Web transactions look/work.  Then the webmail converter fails to see what it looking for and it is out of action until the developer investigates what has changed and modifies the product to interpret the Webmail results again.  So if Hotmail makes a change (as it doing with Hotmail Live at the moment) all of the products break for Hotmail at the same time.  Fortunately there seems to be some friendly rivalry out there about getting things working quickly again.   

Hope this helps. 

buttoni

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »
Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services ...., it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High.
[/color]
I found the above information after doing a forum search on keywords "Yahoo Mail".  I, too, use Yahoo Mail.  Based on this information, can I turn off the Internet Mail Provider (to conserve resources), as only the Web/Standard Shields are at work on Yahoo Mail?  No point in running it if it's not doing anything.  Or have I misunderstood something in the above post?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 06:58:02 PM by buttoni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »
I wouldn't advise you disable the Internet Mail provider (the resources saving would be minimal if it isn't scanning) as it may well be the first indication that you have malware on your system sending Spam (spambot trojan).

buttoni

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »
Thats true, hadn't thought of that benefit to letting it run.  Will leave the provider running then.  Thanks for the speedy reply.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:56:44 PM by buttoni »