Author Topic: Avast Windows 7 RE: Meltdown & Spectre  (Read 6813 times)

Offline The Sniggler

Avast Windows 7 RE: Meltdown & Spectre
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
Any word on what is going on with updates for Windows 7?
Checked for Windows updates several times today, nothing...
Has any Win7 Avast user been successful with the new patches??

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast Windows 7 RE: Meltdown & Spectre
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
I'm on Win7. What version should the patch be in?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
I am on windows 7 and have the avast version in this board's sticky, it hasn't updated yet (been looking for the registry key that should have been included). The patch for windows is available but I haven't installed it yet because of this

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:02:51 PM »
From what I understand, the Windows Update 7 checks your registry when you start the search for updates process. If it finds the reg entry, then it notifies you that the patch is ready to be downloaded. I believe that if you try this outside of the Windows Update process, say manually, you could be asking for trouble. I have done check for updates on two machines, twice today, with no results. I will keep trying.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »
From what I understand, the Windows Update 7 checks your registry when you start the search for updates process. If it finds the reg entry, then it notifies you that the patch is ready to be downloaded. I believe that if you try this outside of the Windows Update process, say manually, you could be asking for trouble. I have done check for updates on two machines, twice today, with no results. I will keep trying.

Why is that?
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »

Why is that?

I think the registry update from third party AV's is required for the update to be initiated via Windows Update. I think without it, it can and probably will causes issues

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
Refer to this thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=212664.0

Avast released a micro update yesterday and now they're waiting for Microsoft.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »

Why is that?

I think the registry update from third party AV's is required for the update to be initiated via Windows Update. I think without it, it can and probably will causes issues

Thanks.

I received the registry update on both my PC's.  Checked windows update a few times today and nothing so far.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »
@Hopper
I think I have it also but it’s not coming through for me yet either. It might be the way windows update delivery happens.

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »

Why is that?

Start reading here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/list-of-meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerability-advisories-patches-and-updates/

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »
Here's a clear explanation of why I am waiting for the patch to appear in regular Windows 7 Updates Checking:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/important-information-regarding-the-windows-security-updates-released

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »
How do I obtain this micro-update? I do not have the registry key needed to install the windows update. I am on windows 7 and using avast free.

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
No update on either machine today... I plan to still wait it out.

Ain't no way I am messing with the registry on something like this, don't need a BSOD on top of it all.

While the anticipated update is supposed to slow PC speed by approx. 30%, I read where Intel will be releasing firmware upgrades this week. Maybe just wait for Intel???  See:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/intel-promises-firmware-updates-for-most-modern-cpus-by-the-end-of-next-week/

Not really much info out there on what to do except general media hype.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:39:14 PM by The Sniggler »

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
No update on either machine today... I plan to still wait it out.

Ain't no way I am messing with the registry on something like this, don't need a BSOD on top of it all.

While the anticipated update is supposed to slow PC speed by approx. 30%, I read where Intel will be releasing firmware upgrades this week. Maybe just wait for Intel???  See:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/intel-promises-firmware-updates-for-most-modern-cpus-by-the-end-of-next-week/

Not really much info out there on what to do except general media hype.

You can the run Intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool in the link below and see if your PC is vulnerable.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150

Luckily I don't have to install those firmware updates.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0