Author Topic: Avast not showing in Security center  (Read 14088 times)

Barr_y

Re: Avast not showing in Security center
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 09:23:13 PM »
I suppose then this will just disappear into the abyss of non answered questions. I know others are having problems with Avast by reading these forums. Just look at the answers and URLs posted here and see my uploaded photo.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:27:22 PM »
I suppose then this will just disappear into the abyss of non answered questions. I know others are having problems with Avast by reading these forums. Just look at the answers and URLs posted here and see my uploaded photo.
From the users side Barr, I think we get the bottom... cannot go further...
Here is my experience with Security Center: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21416.msg178821#msg178821
As you can see, only reinstalling Windows  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Barr_y

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »
Hi Tech. Yes I think perhaps some of Windows updates have affected the Security Center, because if you stop and start it, it shows for a while then you have to tell it you have your own Antivirus program and will monitor it yourself.

That doesn't answer the question about Avast, always popping up that simple user interface when you open it though since 4.7 update. Then putting the tick in the box for it not to show anymore, like others here have found,  then it still pops up next time, or the warning that an error has occurred in the script on this page and what to do about it.

No writer of programs should expect a user to start altering the Avast4.ini file, especially if they haven't a clue what you might be talking about. Putting a tick in the box is OK and that should work properly without causing concern to a new user of Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 03:44:27 AM »
That doesn't answer the question about Avast, always popping up that simple user interface when you open it though since 4.7 update.
Indee, it does not answer. This is a SCRIPT problem and in the avast case it should be solved by editing the ini file and nothing more. But I think that other scripts won't work well in your computer, some webpages will fail to load or to perform actions (buttoms, pictures that you click, etc.).

No writer of programs should expect a user to start altering the Avast4.ini file, especially if they haven't a clue what you might be talking about. Putting a tick in the box is OK and that should work properly without causing concern to a new user of Avast.
I agree. I've tried to make an avast tweaker... a full tweaker of avast settings... unfortunatelly, I can't make this project a priority right now  :-\ :'(

Barr_y

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 02:16:17 PM »
Hi Tech just to advise you I have no problems with scripts or anything else I wish to view on my computer. The single and only problem with script, is when Avast continually opens the simple user interface after I have put a green tick in the box asking it not to.

Like I said nobody should have to alter ini.scripts or anything else when something is there for you to make it happen.  Example putting a tick in a box for it not to happen. I never had the problem with the 4.6 version

Did you know about ini.scripts when you first had a computer. The people I help and have put programs onto their computers, wouldn't have a clue what an ini.script was let alone try and alter it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 04:27:48 PM »
I have no problems with scripts
Which is your browser? If it uses extensions, which extensions are you using related to scripts?

Like I said nobody should have to alter ini.scripts or anything else when something is there for you to make it happen.  Example putting a tick in a box for it not to happen. I never had the problem with the 4.6 version
Fully agree. Things should work. Things worked for me and not for you... something is different in your computer...

Did you know about ini.scripts when you first had a computer. The people I help and have put programs onto their computers, wouldn't have a clue what an ini.script was let alone try and alter it.
Well, I never say ini.scripts... the file is avast.ini and it's not that painful just opening a text file, change a number from 0 to 1, save the file... I agree that things should be different but we'll stay here complaining about the reality and how different computers are one from another...

Barr_y

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 12:08:38 AM »
I was just referring to ini.scripts for the posting. I know you talk about Avast4.ini I was just generalizing. See what I mean, you know what Avast4.ini is, I know what an ini. file is but how would you expect a complete novice to understand.

The extensions I use in Internet Explorer 6 are posted here

Barr_y

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »
It's a shame about Avast because I really liked it, and installed it on many computers where I call on people that need help, and  advertise it on my own website. Since this last update though without the help needed I have uninstalled it and now have Antivir. The good thing is I get no script errors with it, and do not have to change any Avast4.ini files, and funny enough I am still virus free.

I know I was the only person, so you say getting this problem but after reading through the forums, I came to the conclusion that I don't think I was.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 10:59:06 PM »
The introductory avast! help is actually not avast! "code", it's an ordinary HTML page with a simple script. So, if it doesn't work, it cannot really be avast! problem - but rather a problem with HtmlHelp / scripting on your OS, sorry.

Barr_y

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 10:21:45 AM »
Ok  igor so now it is my computer and Operating System that is at fault, which happens to be Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Fully maintained by myself with no problems with Avast or script errors, right up to the point where Avast advised me that a new version was available and did I want to download and install it.

I immediately gave it permission. Previously to this my Avast was running perfect with no Simple User Interface popping up, mainly because I had put a tick in its box telling it not to. Now with the new version installed and my computer rebooting, starting Avast 4.7 all of a sudden I get a script error, which you say and I quote.

“The introductory avast! help is actually not avast! "code", it's an ordinary HTML page with a simple script. So, if it doesn't work, it cannot really be avast! problem - but rather a problem with HtmlHelp / scripting on your OS, sorry”

So as I didn’t write the code for the introductory avast, I guess somebody else must have done, also remembering I hadn’t made any alterations in the meantime to my computer.

Putting the tick in the box didn’t stop it appearing time after time and I would like to make it explicitly clear I made no alterations to my computer. I also think you never ever answered Nicola S question from this posting either. See here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21398.0

“Dear Experts,

Will anyone help me in fixing that annoying issue with the Introductory Help?
which pops up every time I launch my Avast Home Edition?
Other users have the same problem....
is there a real solution to it?”
Thank you
  ____Nicola S____

Other than that I can’t say anything else on the subject, I will leave that for people to draw their own conclusions.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 10:35:41 AM »
Even though it's obvious that you're not going to accept anything from what I say, here are some facts:
1. The Simple User Interface introductrory help file hasn't changed for months
2. The help file is just a simple HTML help file - i.e. it's interpretted by HtmlHelp/IE subsystem
3. Milions of users worldwide don't have any problems with the checkbox
4. The few ones that had the problems with the checkbox solved it by installing the necessary HtmlHelp update - because some MS patches really caused the mentioned behavior (and btw, it is necessary to install the HtmlHelp update manually - as far as I remember, Windows update does not do that).

I'm sorry, but the conclusion for me is rather clear... I can't imagine how this could be avast! problem.  ???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:37:21 AM by igor »

Barr_y

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
igor of course I will except you explanation. In all these postings not once have I been advised to download Html/Help update manually. It would have been far simpler for you to have mentioned this and stop me trying to find the solution to the problem.

Communication is a powerful thing if given correctly. I never saw this answer in the Nicola S posting either.

I will now go and look for this file on Microsoft web page.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 11:01:39 AM »
Well, my first post in this thread pointed to Vlk's post... who said "All you need to do is download and install the hotfix from this MS page" and gave the link to MS... ;)

Barr_y

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
And here is the answer to that. Downloaded the file as suggested but this is the result. See photo, which means I already had a better help file on my computer, and it still hasn't cured the problem. Also you did not answer the question about Nicola S's problem either. And just to show how I update my computer, here is another photo, which still leaves me thinking it is an Avast writing error causing the problem.

I guess you also didn't read the answer macman gave, which I have already quoted previously in my postings.

"Well I have that hot fix and it does not solve the problem"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:29:30 AM by Barr_y »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:03 AM »
Barr_y,

I've no desire to be confrontational here but Nicola S declared herself completely satisfied with the information on updating the avast4.ini provided by DavidR ... so there was little need to prolong that thread. 

I think you have overlooked a small point in your own situation.  It has, if your postings are right, been a very long time since you ever ran this "composed html helpfile" on your system.  It started to be run because, as part of your issues with security center, you told us that you uninstalled and reinstalled avast.  So you were starting over again and that caused the script to be run again for the first time on your system in ages.  So this issue could have been lurking on your system for a long time.  Nicola S, like you, had recently installed avast for the first time.

As you know, once the setting is successfully entered in the avast4.ini file then the helpfile is never executed again.

I have spent some time trying to recreate the problem you are experiencing (unfortunately without success) and I'm sure the avast team have too.  I can display the helpfile at will and tick the box to stop it being seen again without problem.  I fully understand that does not reduce the irritation this problem is causing you but to be fair to the avast team, it seems that - so far - only you and Nicola are experiencing the problem.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:03:58 PM by alanrf »