Author Topic: What Mail Client's Are Supported?  (Read 5019 times)

uffbros

What Mail Client's Are Supported?
« on: December 30, 2003, 02:48:00 AM »
I used the wizzard from start menu and put in my info...How do I know if it works?  I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my mail client..Is it supported?

techie101

Re:What Mail Client's Are Supported?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 03:38:58 AM »
Uff,

I quote:
E-mail protection consists of two independent modules; first, there is a generic scanner working on the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocol level. It is capable of protecting any existing e-mail client that uses these protocols. Second, there is a special plugin for MS Outlook/Exchange only; it is completely transparent, requiring no special settings.

Typically, these protocols are used by: Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

Hope this helps.

techie
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 03:46:06 AM by techie101 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 05:30:20 PM »
I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my mail client..Is it supported?

To be frank with you, I'm not sure but it's quite easy to find out if it is... (what I know is that Netscape/Mozilla [classic] is supported).

To find out whether Thunderbird is supported, please start the Mail Protection Wiz from the avast group in Start menu, select 'Manual' setup, choose the option saying that you don't use MS Outlook, and on the next page you'll be given a list of accounts the Wiz is able to take care of. If your account is listed, you're all set. If it is not, you'll have to configure Thunderbird manually, as described in the avast online help...

Typically, these protocols are used by: Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

I guess you forgot one important: Outlook Express :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bbfi

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 05:42:01 PM »
uffbros,

I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email client and it works with Avast with no problems.  It was difficult to set up because I also use SpamPal with it.  So when my email is downloaded, it is checked for Spam and Viruses.   :D

How do I know if it works?

There are two ways.  One is the little blue icon with mail in the system tray will appear.  The second is all emails will be marked at the bottom with -

---
avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 12/28/2003
Tested on: 12/29/2003 10:09:44 PM
avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Of course, you will have to configure Avast to do this.   ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 08:46:20 PM »
There are two ways.  One is the little blue icon with mail in the system tray will appear.  The second is all emails will be marked at the bottom with -

---
avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 12/28/2003
Tested on: 12/29/2003 10:09:44 PM
avast! is copyright (c) 2000-2003 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Of course, you will have to configure Avast to do this.   ;)

Actually the above only works if you have "insert note" (or however that's worded) turned on.

But even if you don't, assuming avast is scanning mail properly then there'll be two lines added to the header, usually right at the very end of it.  The first identifies avast and the database version and date, and the second line indicates whether the message is clean.

You might also see two more similar lines near the top of the header, if the sender used avast to scan their outgoing mail.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

bbfi

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 11:34:36 PM »
there'll be two lines added to the header, usually right at the very end of it.  The first identifies avast and the database version and date, and the second line indicates whether the message is clean.

Forgot about that.  When using Thunderbird, I have it set for minimum viewing of the header (subject, from, and time).   ::)