Author Topic: Internet Mail – Redirected Ports  (Read 2497 times)

The_Hat

Internet Mail – Redirected Ports
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »
I am using Outlook Express as my email client to handle 3 different email accounts. Prior to adding the third account, the first two used the standard port settings of POP: 110 and SMTP: 25 to send and receive mail. Avast scanned both incoming and outgoing mail with no problem

When I added the third email account, it uses non-standard values for the POP and SMTP port settings. To accommodate this, I opened the “Redirect” tab in the Internet Mail settings and added the non-standard values, separated by commas, to the appropriate POP and SMTP ports.

Now when I try to send and receive mail, the actions can be completed for the 2 accounts using the standard POP and SMTP ports, but the email client produces the error message “A timeout occurred while communicating with the server. Error Number 0x800CCC19.” on the account using the non-standard ports.  Placing a checkmark in the “Ignore local communications” box does not make a difference.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this condition?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Mail – Redirected Ports
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »
When I added the third email account, it uses non-standard values for the POP and SMTP port settings.
What are these non-standard ports, I'm assuming it may be SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) secure encrypted email ?
If so avast can't directly scan encrypted email (the whole point of encryption) and requires a third party interface.

avast only monitors port 25 (SMTP), 110 (POP3), 119 (NNTP) and 143 (IMAP) because it is able to handle the protocols used in these email ports. So adding redirected ports that use different protocols won't work as those protocols aren't handled/expected by the Internet Mail provider.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.856) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The_Hat

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »
Thanks for the answer DavidR

You are right on target. The ports are SSL ports and the POP3 port is above 900 while the SMTP port is above 465.  I was talking with a friend of mine today and he said almost the same thing and suggested I use Stunnel to circumvent the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Not sure of the reasoning on the pop3 port above 900 is for but if it is regular pop3 protocol and not encrypted or uses a different protocol, then a redirect should still work if you added the port to the list.

Some light reading on Stunnel and avast for you.
Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
Stunnel now comes as an installer which installs Open SSL and Stunnel so now you just have to download the installer version from here http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 01:47:22 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.856) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security