Author Topic: The optimum configuration (for paranoid people like me)  (Read 4564 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
The optimum configuration (for paranoid people like me)
« on: December 31, 2003, 12:42:57 PM »
the standard shield is set to scan the following extensions - on open & on create/modify - in addition to the default extension set(as advised by Technical):
ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,ECE,WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*
the blocker is set to block the 'deleting file' and 'formatting' operations..
is this enough? or do I have to make more changes?
BTW, I use avast4 HE..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:46:23 PM by minacross »
MW

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:The optimum configuration (for paranoid people like me)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 02:45:50 PM »
I think that simple adding the extension of archives into "scanning file on open" doesn't have much sense - unless the scanning (i.e. unpacking) of archives is turned on as well (which is not by default in HE). "Plaintext" scanning of archive (compressed) files is unlikely to find anything...

bassbag

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 03:02:19 PM »
isnt setting the "scan created or modified files" (standard shield) best set at "all files" rather than the  selected extension list? or am i misunderstanding something?
tia

stevejrc

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 04:41:15 PM »
Is the standard high setting for all modules ok, could it miss anything compared to customising settings?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 06:59:36 PM »
isnt setting the "scan created or modified files" (standard shield) best set at "all files" rather than the  selected extension list? or am i misunderstanding something?
tia

Yes, choose the most common extensions (which can be infected) avoid the loss of resources (that could be prohibitive in old systems) scanning all the files. In the past, an 'old' user called 'mantra' (where is he now?) always 'fight' for less RAM footprint of avast.
The best things in life are free.

bassbag

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 03:57:31 PM »
Thank you for info Technical.I have it set to check all and havent noticed any slowdown (even though i use w98se)though i will try the other way and see if theres any significant difference.
thanks again
me