Author Topic: Completely uninstallling anti theft  (Read 1358 times)

REDACTED

Completely uninstallling anti theft
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »
I travel and change my sim card a lot. Whenever I do the wifi  becomes stuck on and there is no way to turn it off until I log into my Avast account and report the sim as "trusted". That was very annoying until I figured it out, then it was just a minor nuisance. However now things have gone badly wrong, I put a Vietnamese sim card and as expected the wifi was stuck on. When I went onto the Avast account page my phone was "unprotected" and it was not possible to report the sim as "trusted", but the "send message to phone" button was active so I tried it. Big mistake. The message came through but it bricked my phone and I had to do a restore of the rom from an old backup and it will take a lot of time to recover the apps and settings I've lost from the past couple of years.

Needless to say I'm not happy and I want to get rid of Anti theft completely and for good. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and uninstalling again and looked through this forum, all over the web, I've wasted a whole day and burned up way too much data on a metered connection and I've gotten nowhere, the wifi is still stuck no matter which sim I put in the phone, the anti theft looks like it's gone but it's not.

Please help.

REDACTED

Re: Completely uninstallling anti theft
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
I found the solution on another site. I dialed my Avast PIN in the dialer and I got a dialog that allowed me to switch off anti theft. My wifi is now switched off. Just the same, I'd like to completely uninstall it since it apparently doesn't prevent theft anyway.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »
More success: I found the uninstall wizard the same way. I don't need help anymore. I must say I don't recommend this software for anyone who does a lot of traveling and changes Sims often.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:13:30 PM »
Hi, if you have the "uninstall wizzard", you are most probably referring to the old (standalone) version of Anti-Theft, which we do not support anymore. Due to changes in MyAvast some commands probably do not work any more (noone has tested it for a while). I hope the explanation helps.