Author Topic: Yahoo script worm  (Read 4307 times)

sherrymyra

Yahoo script worm
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:24:34 AM »
I wasn't using Yahoo email but I received an email from a yahoo group I visit.  I clicked into it and the attachement and there wasn't really anything to see there.  I actually got more than one of these. I throught it strange.  Then I received an email from my internet provider saying that they had stopped an email from coming to me that contained a virus.  It was from that Yahoo group.  So I am wondering if that is the Yahoo Script virus.  If so, could I have been infected by one of the emails that I did open from that that group?  Will Avast detect it if I did?  If Avast will not detect it should I worry about it?  Help.!!

mauserme

Re: Yahoo script worm
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:27:25 AM »
... I received an email from a yahoo group I visit. I clicked into it and the attachement ...

If you're referring to yamanner, that didn't spread via an email attachment.  It was within the body of the email itself.   So email with an attachment probably wasn't this.

The emails all appeared to come from av3@yahoo(dot)com with the subject line New Graphic Site.  Did your's look like this?

btw, Yahoo claims to have contained the problem.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:37:34 AM by mauserme »

sherrymyra

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:27:09 AM »
Nope that isn't what it looked like.  There was a virus attached to one of the emails I got though.  I use outlook.  So maybe my internet provider saved me from getting something anyway.  Although I would always hope that my Avast would stop them too.   Well then maybe the virus was just in one of those topic replys I got.  Whew.  Thanks for replying.

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »
I'm glad things worked out OK.

jedakay

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 09:40:37 PM »
Just found out today that I got the same worm from probably the same yahoo group; avast caught it and it's now been moved to the chest, can I simply delete it from there?

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:49 PM »
Sure, long as you're sure its just the email containing the worm it should be safe to delete it.

I'm curious though - how did avast! handle putting this in the chest?  I mean is the whole email in the chest or just the worm?

jedakay

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »
Just the worm, avast caught it during a system scan.  I knew about the virus through the yahoo group I'm a member of which talked about it and I remember opening that e-mail because it was from a member of the group who also received the e-mail and then inadvertently forwarded it as a post which in essence was that member's e-mail.  Didn't think I had any problems until the scan found it last night; I put it in the chest myself.

mauserme

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 01:31:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  If you still have the email that contained the worm you should probably delete it without re-opening it.

Yamanner is not terribly malicious.  It just gathers e-mail addresses and sends itself along to others in your address book so even with it on your computer you wouldn't have a lot of problems.

The concern is it might be a test - a sort of "proof of concept" for other more problematic worms to come.  Time will tell.

Don Lookback

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 08:01:03 PM »
After scan with Avast  ,My yahoo still the same
Uninstall Avast and try Mcafee  , My yahoo still the same

Same problem!. I have to press Ctrl + F5 to get my normal yahoo page and can send or compose. If no Ctrl + F5 , I can not use my yahoo to send any mail.  ( ie7 and firefox2 )

It is not Js yamanner ,i think may be another new one. ( Many people i know also have this problem with yahoo mail )

Hope Avast can solve this problem soon.

mauserme

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:51:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum Don.

Unfortunately I think your problem has more to do with Yahoo or possibly your browser settings than any malware.  I don't think we're going to be much help.

I can tell you I am able to send mail from my Yahoo account with either IE6 or Avant Browser (both 10.2 and 11) without needing to refresh.