Author Topic: known conflicts w/avast?  (Read 2870 times)

dixiebooks

known conflicts w/avast?
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:50:52 AM »
I have a new laptop (< 1 month). I've so far downloaded only two programs: Avast 4.x and a genealogy program (Personal Ancestral File).

My computer is freezing up as it logs on. I am not sure why but am quite positive this should not be normal for a new computer.

The computer is an Acer laptop w/ AMD Sempron 3100+, & 802.11 b/b integrated wireless. Oh, of course also the standard windoze stuff.

Question: are there any known conflicts between Avast and Acer computers, or any other software, that may be causing the lockups? I know that as soon as the computer boots up, it automatically searches for connections to the web (the wireless thing). Also, avast is automatically searching for and downloading updates. Perhaps the two running together is the cause of the problem?  Ideas?

Thanks.

James Wagner
Montevallo, AL

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: known conflicts w/avast?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? I mean, if you wait for a while, Windows start running, or is it a hard freeze - so you must power off the computer? Does it happen on every boot?
Did it start right after you installed avast!?

Btw, you put the thread into "avast! 4 Server Edition" - is it relevant, or are we rather talking about avast! Home / Professional?

dixiebooks

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply. First, yes it is for the home edition, so I goofed by putting it in the wrong forum.

Yes, hard freeze. I had to turn the puter off and reboot. However, this has not occurred in the last couple of days or three - about 4 or 5 boot-ups. Maybe it fixed itself?

-js

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
For a new computer and fresh install of avast!, I'd guess maybe there was another antivirus preinstalled on the machine? (it's quite common). Yes, they are conflict between multiple antivirus programs - even though avast! should detect the presence of the most common ones and disable itself, to prevent the freezing.
If you say that it doesn't happen anymore, however... it's quite strange.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
 :)  Hi James :

New computers usually come "pre-installed" with an
     antivirus program, which is normally Norton or McAfee;
     was either of these on the computer when you got it ?
      If yes, both can be difficult to COMPLETELY remove as to
      NOT causing "conflict" with a subsequently installed
      antivirus, requiring MORE than just "uninstalling" it .