Author Topic: Can anyone help me?  (Read 8671 times)

hockeyguru31

Can anyone help me?
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:53 PM »
Hey everyone,

My subscription to Norton Internet Security recently ended, so I decided to go with Avast!. After I uninstalled and deleted Norton, I installed Avast. But when I installed Avast, it changed some of my internet settings and scripts, and I am now unable to view my hotmail account, my gmail account (only in basic html view), or any other web page for that matter the way it was meant to. I checked my IE settings, and they are at what they used to be. I can't access system restore or windows search functions, as Avast seemed to deactivate those.

I now uninstalled Avast and have no antivirus programs on my computer. I was wondering if anybody had any idea how to fix this prooblem. Maybe there are some settings I am overlooking? I tried everything (i think) and It is really frustrating. I was thinking of reinstalling Norton or IE to get my original settings back, but there may be any easier solution. Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks alot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:32:46 PM »
NAV is a bit of a pig to get rid of on occasions.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Once you run this and reboot, then reinstall avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

watergypsy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »
I guess I should be relieved it's not just me having this problem but now I feel fed up for two of us!

I was living very dangerously (so I kept being told) by never having had any anti virus.  So I did a load of research and Avast seemed like the best bet for a single home user.

Except that, like you, I cannot access any secure sites, even those for which I have to pay a subscription.  I cannot even get into Ebay, as soon as I try to log into anything at all - up comes the "page cannot be displayed" error.

I've tried uninstalling but the same thing keeps happening.

It is not just frustrating, it's making me very miserable because, being recently disabled, the internet has become my only access to the outside world.

I shall keep watching to see if any kind person can help - your solution David, doesn't help me because there was no other av to cause a problem.

Thank you to anyone who knows what I am doing wrong.

:'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:54:42 PM »
I've tried uninstalling but the same thing keeps happening.
If you're talking about Norton...

1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:
1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

watergypsy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:18:04 AM »
Thank you Tech for trying to help.

When I said I had tried uninstalling, I meant Avast.  I thought I would go back to being without an AV package, but even when I take it out, I still cannot get to any of the secure sites.   Grrrrr.....

I now wonder if Avast simply cannot cope with my prehistoric Win 98 OS?

Don't know what to do at all - it's going to be a pretty horrid day with nobody to talk to - most Internet friends are on secure sites!

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
@ hockeyguru31...

I've had Avast installed on systems with Windows 98 and there were never any problems that you have described. I would definately take the suggestions of DavidR and Tech concerning the SymNRT tool.

@ watergypsy...

Are you using Internet Explorer 6? If the above fails to set things straight, try using the repair feature under "Add/Remove" in the control panel.

You may need to either reformat or seek the services of a paid technician as well.

Lastly, I would NEVER advise anyone using the internet with at least basic antivirus and antispyware protection at all times! ::)

Best regards...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:49:01 AM by ardvark »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:04:12 PM »
I now wonder if Avast simply cannot cope with my prehistoric Win 98 OS?
No... avast works perfectly on Win 98.

Don't know what to do at all - it's going to be a pretty horrid day with nobody to talk to - most Internet friends are on secure sites!
But did you try the steps I've posted?

watergypsy

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »
Tech, I haven't tried your idea yet because I thought that was intended only for someone who had previously had Norton.

I shall try it now.

Thanks for your help

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
Hi watergypsy..

I don't think Tech realizes that there are TWO different posters with this problem here and you were the one who didn't have Norton installed.

Did you try MY suggestion?  ::)

Best Regards...

Spiritsongs

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 07:02:42 PM »
 :)  Hi Watergypsy :

If you did not have an antiVIRUS program on your
      computer for a long time, I wonder if you have any 
      antiSPYWARE program(s) or a "software" firewall ?
      For us to help, we need to know the NAMES of any
      computer security program(s) you have !?
      You said you get a "page cannot be displayed" when
      attempting to go to "secure sites"; are you speaking of
     "https" sites ? Since you seem able to download & install
      program(s), I recommend you start with the FREE
     "A-Squared" from www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ .

watergypsy

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 09:59:53 PM »
Having finally got 5 minutes to myself, I started looking to see what this Sysmantec is that I need to use to solve my problem.

What I found just started a further panic!

According to networktechs.com I only need this if I had previously installed Norton.

SymNRT will remove these--and only these--Norton programs:
Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005
Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004
Norton AntiVirus 3, 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
Norton SystemWorks 2004/2004 Professional Edition
Norton SystemWorks 2005/2005 Premier edition
Norton Password Manager 2004
Norton Internet Security 2004/2005
Norton Internet Security 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005
Norton Personal Firewall 2004/2005
Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
Ghost 2003 or Ghost Version 9.0

If your program is not in this list, do not use SymNRT. It will not remove your program.

Back I scuttle to forum.avast to check I’ve read that right.  Not surprisingly, aardvark makes it clear that by rudely jumping into hockeyguru31’s thread, I have thoroughly confused everyone.  Sorry chaps!  I was in a panic….

So now, in answer to ‘Did you try MY suggestion?’ from aardvark, no I haven’t because my add remove facility in the control panel doesn’t seem to have the repair feature you mention.  But, yes, I am using Internet Explorer 6

In reply to Spiritsongs question – a year or so ago I had AVG but that stopped working ages ago, after an automatic update – it suddenly wouldn’t let me boot up in anything but Safe Mode so I took it out and carried on using nothing.

Then I was persuaded to use Avast, which seems great except that as you’ve guessed, I can’t get onto https sites.  Of course, everything I have subscriptions for (genealogy & MS info. mainly), and any site I want to buy from, is quite rightly, an https site.

Unless anything is left lurking from AVG, I have no firewalls or any other protection at all.
This is what it says in System Information  - means nothing to me but might help!

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C  /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:05:43:17
Normal mode
On "OEMCOMPUTER" as "graham"
TOSHIBA
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10
383MB RAM
18% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (13711MB free)
Available space on drive C: 13711MB of 19067MB (FAT32)

So, all you experts, I’m back in your hands again – what do I do now?  I can tell you, this is a pretty scary feeling – can’t walk, can’t get off the boat and now can’t get on the net.  But, hey – there is going to be the most amazing sunset !

I'm saving "A Squared" until I see what anyone has to say first.....

Thanks all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 10:33:11 PM »
According to networktechs.com I only need this if I had previously installed Norton.
If your program is not in this list, do not use SymNRT. It will not remove your program.
Did you have, in any time in the past, Norton installed in this computer?

watergypsy

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 11:07:54 PM »
No Tech, Norton has never been installed on this computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 11:25:29 PM »
No Tech, Norton has never been installed on this computer.
So, let's try other solutions to your problem and stop talking about the bad guy. By your first post, I thought you have Symantec products in this[/b] computer.
Let's start again: whit avast installed, you can't use Hotmail and Hotmail. Do you use any email program? Which one?
If you just disable avast WebShield (and not uninstall all avast), will they work? Which browser do you have, besides Internet Explorer?

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 02:46:27 AM »
So now, in answer to ‘Did you try MY suggestion?’ from aardvark, no I haven’t because my add remove facility in the control panel doesn’t seem to have the repair feature you mention.  But, yes, I am using Internet Explorer 6

Ok, go here instead...

Start--->Programs--->Accessories--->System Tools--->System information.

Once you click on "System Information" and the window pops up, click on "Tools" and the option should be in that menu.

Best regards...