Author Topic: Blocking emails from non-emal programs  (Read 930 times)

REDACTED

Blocking emails from non-emal programs
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
Sorry about the title, that's the most descriptive I could come up with.  My office uses Avast Antivirus Pro.  It scans all of our incoming and outgoing emails that go through Thunderbird.  The main database program that our office uses gives us the ability to send email from directly within the program.  Avast blocks those emails.  Can I have it both ways?  Can I set Avast to scan outgoing emails from Thunderbird, but not from our database?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Blocking emails from non-emal programs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
As far as I'm aware there is no such setting

I don't know if this function will help or not as I'm not familiar with what you are using in the database program.

I use an email spam, pre-scanner to filter out spam and that too gets scanned - this content is in text mode and is only a portion of the email (not all of it) to test - this would then delete spam of the server before I download the remainder in thunderbird.  Given the fact that this is  in text mode and is only a portion of the email, this scan I feel is not a benefit.

There is an ini file that can be modified to exclude (Ignore Process) my mailwasher program executable, you could try that and in place of my mail washer process insert the database programs executable that is responsible for the sending of email.

I have avast IgnoreProcess for MailWasherProApp.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [EmailScanner] section using using notepad:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (XP)
C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista/Win7 and later)
[EmailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasherProApp.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security