Author Topic: resubscribe to Root AMS  (Read 6257 times)

zimage

resubscribe to Root AMS
« on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
I've been testing Avast and I haven't been able to get multi-AMS to work.  I was thinking that it was because our root server was in a different domain than the child.  I deleted the child server from the parent, but the "Subscribe to Root AMS" menu item on the child is still greyed out.  How do I fix this?

r3flux

Re: resubscribe to Root AMS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 05:14:19 AM »
I also have this issue, is there away around it with uninstalling product?

Cheers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
I've been testing Avast and I haven't been able to get multi-AMS to work.  I was thinking that it was because our root server was in a different domain than the child. 

That shouldn't be a problem.
Any specific error messages?

Any relevant entries in the <ADNM>\data\log\error.log file (on both the root and the leaf server)?

I deleted the child server from the parent, but the "Subscribe to Root AMS" menu item on the child is still greyed out.

So the subscription worked, after all? The option is greyed when a server runs as a subscriber (i.e. the subscription process completed).

Anyway, to do what you want, you can use the following procedure (all on the leaf server):

1. close all running ADNM consoles
2. stop the "avast management server" service
3. reinit the database. I.e. run the "AMS Maintenace Tool", and do the following:
      - delete database
      - create database
4. in the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file, delete the following line

ServerId=<something>

(the line should be in the [SQL] section of the ini file)
5. restart the service stopped in step 2.

That should reinit the DB on the leaf, and make it ready to resubscribe.
Of course, a similar effect would be achieved by actually reinstalling the leaf -- but that would take much longer.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zimage

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »
I deleted the child server from the parent, but the "Subscribe to Root AMS" menu item on the child is still greyed out.

So the subscription worked, after all? The option is greyed when a server runs as a subscriber (i.e. the subscription process completed).

Nope, the subscription didn't work.  I was having problems similar to a past user where the replication task on the root would sometimes succeed, and sometimes fail, but the data would never actually be updated on the leaf.

Anyway, to do what you want, you can use the following procedure (all on the leaf server):
That should reinit the DB on the leaf, and make it ready to resubscribe.
Of course, a similar effect would be achieved by actually reinstalling the leaf -- but that would take much longer.

I followed your directions to the letter and it didn't work so I'm reinstalling.

Tim Nowaczyk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:31:38 PM »
Are you saying that the option was greyed out even after making the steps described above?? (especially after making step 4 - was the line present in the INI file?) :o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:34:14 PM by Vlk »

r3flux

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 01:26:34 AM »
Are you saying that the option was greyed out even after making the steps described above?? (especially after making step 4 - was the line present in the INI file?) :o

I also followed the instructions above and the subscribe to root ams is still greyed out. I don't want to keep reinstalling this to test things.

Cheers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:06:09 AM »
You're right, I apologize. I forgot to include one step, which is:

4b. In the registry key HKLM\Software\Alwil Software\Avast\av_mgm\4.0\SS, delete the value called "ServerID".

That should do the trick.
I apologize for the omission.

Thanks
vlk

r3flux

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 03:07:58 AM »
Thanks

4a did the trick.

Cheers