Author Topic: Is avast dropping windows 98???  (Read 2526 times)

stwils

Is avast dropping windows 98???
« on: June 29, 2006, 10:49:24 PM »
I was really distressed to hear that Zone Alarm is dropping support for Windows 98.

Is avast going to do the same?

I am keeping my Windows 98SE computer. And I am not going to do a complete reinstall with XP. I have too many valuable files on it for now. It is a very stable computer.

I have avast/ZA on my Windows ME laptop. I was thinking of putting both on my 98 desktop since Norton 2002 has expired (last virus definition update was about a month ago.)

Please advise. Would Norton (expired) still protect me against old viruses?
And do I really need a firewall? (I do guard against spyware with Spy Sweeper.)

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

stwils

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is avast dropping windows 98???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:24:34 PM »
Well I remember this question being asked very recently in the forums.

Currently avast even supports win95 and that went of MS's radar a considerable time ago, but I haven't heard any suggestion that avast will drop support for that or win98/ME, etc.

I wouldn't recommend any old AV solution, NAV or otherwise.

Yes you do need a firewall, there are others, Comodo, Jetico, Sunbelt Kerio, etc. you would have to check on their support for win98.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security