Author Topic: Can't uninstall / reinstall on MacBook Pro running macOS 10.13.4  (Read 3930 times)

Offline kenneth huey

I noticed that my wife's Avast Security for Mac was connected with my Avast account, and I thought I'd install a fresh version in her name. Ran the uninstaller, but got caught in a loop. I get a notice saying "Uninstallation complete" and "reboot is necessary." After rebooting, there's a notice asking "Uninstall Avast?" Clicking "Uninstall" just repeats the process, and if I cancel and run the Avast Security.pkg installer, I get an installation error: "Avast is already installed, please uninstall the previous version first."

I tried deleting the existing Avast application, but that didn't change anything. (And now I see that you advise against do so.) I searched the forum, and found Ondrej Kolacek's advice to run rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/Avast" in Terminal, but that didn't help. (I noticed a lot of "permission denied" statements in Terminal's log. I'm not savvy enough to understand what was going on, there.)

So at this point, my wife's Avast protection is broken, and nothing I try seems to help.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Can't uninstall / reinstall on MacBook Pro running macOS 10.13.4
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »
Hello Kenneth, It looks like did everything correctly. It should be enough to run the uninstaller that should take care of the uninstallation process. It would be great to find some logs for us that would help to identify possible root cause. Logs are are usually hiding in /tmp or /Library/Logs/Avast .

If the uninstallation process failed then there are probably some remains on your Mac. Try to run the uninstaller again please. You can find it in /Library/Application Support/Avast/components/uninstall or download the DMG with it from http://mac-av.u.avcdn.net/mac-av/10_9/AAFM/avast_security_online.dmg

Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.