Author Topic: Cannot surf with avast  (Read 2428 times)

francis59

Cannot surf with avast
« on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:32 AM »
I have the last version of avast home edition and here is my problem :
I can surf whithout take ot the resident protection.
I have installing zonealarm in its last version and the problem begin.
So I take off zonealarm, I have also take off avast and made a new installation but avast won't let me surf on the net.
Precison : mail it's ok
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot surf with avast
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »
What is your OS ?
Do you have the free or Pro version of Zone Alarm ?
Does ZA allow access for ashWebSv.exe avast Web Shield ?
If so delete the entry and try browsing again ZA should ask permission again, allow it access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

francis59

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 08:56:16 AM »
I have take off zonealarm free and now avast home don't let me go to the web.
For the moment I have the Windows firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »
Open the Control Panel, Windows Firewall and check if there is an Exception for ashWebSv.exe the web shield. If not add one for it, file location, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

How did you remove ZA or is it just disabled ?
If you incorrectly answered the question about ZA when avast was installed the web shield may not be working in transparent mode, so you would have to manually set your browser to use it, but this shouldn't stop your browser.

General Information Zone Alarm and Web Shield:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

- ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off web shield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security