Author Topic: Bug in [new] Data Usage feature?  (Read 4364 times)

REDACTED

Bug in [new] Data Usage feature?
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:06:27 AM »
It appears there is a bug in the "Data Usage" feature of Avast Mobile Security (Pro) for Android.

My data usage cycle runs from 00:00 on the 21st, to 24:00 on the 20th.

Today, it is telling me I've used 138 MB this cycle, which happens to actually be the total of what was used on the 20th plus today's usage.

If I change the setting of "Day of month to reset" from "21" to "20", it then reads 164 MB, which is the total usage of the 19th through today.

If I change the setting of "Day of month to reset" from "21" to "22", it reads 1.16 GB, which is the total usage of the entire last cycle, plus today's usage.

This is clearly an off-by-one error in the program logic.

Who do I contact to report this?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Bug in [new] Data Usage feature?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »
Hi, reporting it here is perfect enough - I will forward your message to the colleagues concerned. Thanks!

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
Hi again, could I ask you for some additional details?

- what manufacturer/type of device you use?
- is your device dual SIM?
- Android version?
- Avast Antivirus version?

Offline Jesse, Mobile Product Manager

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Hello, thanks for alerting us to a potential issue. We've investigated and decided not to change the calculation logic for now.

There's a difference in SIM time and phone time so moving the time doesn't impact the calculated range. We synchronize our day of reset with Android's. That means if today is the 13th and the day of reset is the 13th, then we'll show data from the 13th of this month to the 12th of the next. If today is reset day, it's already happened. I hope that helps to clarify how this feature works.