Author Topic: Major sites suddenly giving Your Connection Is Not Secure errors  (Read 2533 times)

REDACTED

Hello! This morning I went online (Firefox Mac High Sierra running the free Avast app) and major sites - Facebook, Pinterest, Hulu - give a "your connection is not secure error." When I click "advanced" to add an exception, I get:

"www.pinterest.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported. Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER" And no option to do anything else.

I even tried turning off my web shield - which seems like a bad idea - and that doesn't help the problem. Is anyone else having this problem? (When I searched for an answer it looks like it's not Firefox, it's Avast that's the problem, which is why I'm asking here.)

Thank you!

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Major sites suddenly giving Your Connection Is Not Secure errors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
Hello,

We know about certain (very rare) issues with Firefox, but they usually occur only after installation of either Firefox or Avast. Have you reinstalled Firefox or AV? What is your version of FF? File->Preferences, Privacy & Security, scroll down, View Certificates button, is there AVAST certificate present? You can also try to run in terminal command

/Library/Application\ Support/Avast/hub/usermodules/020_cert.sh  add_app Firefox

does the command require you to specify password? If yes, you will probably have to reinstall Firefox, we have seen this issue few times in the wild (for some reason something locks list of certificates via password so we can not add our certificate to the list; we have no idea who or what is the culprit of this).

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:32:08 PM by ondrej.kolacek »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the response! I'm running Firefox 61.0.1 and have not recently installed Firefox or Avast. No password is required when I get these error messages. There is an Avast certificate present "Avast trusted CA." I'll try deleting and reinstalling Firefox.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Ondrej, I deleted then reinstalled Firefox and am still having the same problem. Any other ideas? Everything was fine yesterday and nothing has changed (on my end) since then.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Hello,
please could you check if the other browsers are working fine? You could also click on SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER link and send me the data it displays to ondrej.kolacek at avast.com .
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
Firefox 61.0.1 here on High Sierra and I can not reproduce the issue.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay