Author Topic: Avast Software Updater Forcefully Restarts System  (Read 4747 times)

Offline AlexBw

Avast Software Updater Forcefully Restarts System
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:57 AM »
I am a new Avast user, installed this morning and the Software Updater modules apparently showed a couple of software were outdated - 7Zip Manager and JDK. So, I expanded 7Zip Manager Update and clicked on Update button, the update was downloaded and I saw the message Installing... Next thing I know - I am looking at "Restarting..." screen by Windows 10 !

After booting back into desktop I looked into the Event Viewer logs and found the following -
The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer LXSGAMINGRIG on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
 Reason Code: 0x80030002
 Shut-down Type: restart
 Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of '7-Zip 18.05 (x64 edition)'.

I have updated 7Zip several times without requiring a restart, so I don't understand how the hell did the Software Updater came up with this requirement. It is perhaps a foolish oversight by the programmers ? I had documents and other windows open, I wasn't even warned let alone get prompted for confirmation to restart, I lost some of my documents that I had open.

Is this the normal behaviour ? Should I presume that this will happen every time I click on Update and close all the windows ?

I'd like to hear from the developers about this. It certainly needs attention.

Why the hell is the Captcha on this forum is virtually unreadable ? I even chose the option Listen and yet it took me 10 tries !!

UPDATE: It just tried to replace the 64bit JDK with a 32bit JDK Update ! I had to force terminate the installer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:40:58 AM by AlexBw »

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Software Updater Forcefully Restarts System
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:14:47 AM »
Why the hell is the Captcha on this forum is virtually unreadable ? I even chose the option Listen and yet it took me 10 tries !!
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast Premier 19.6.2382.Beta#4 - CC 5.58 - MCS - EEK - FF ESR 60.7 [NS/AOS/uBO] - TB 60.7.1 [EM] - ACP/ASB/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0