Author Topic: AvastUI.exe using 90%+ of CPU and slowing machine to a crawl  (Read 12271 times)

REDACTED

Having just spent the past week or so building a new machine from parts, I started to load the software onto it. I started with Windows XP (I know, but there's a reason why I want it to run XP), followed by all of the other stuff I wanted on it.

Having ditched AVG in favour of Avast when they introduced that stupid and highly intrusive Zen thing, Avast Free was the first thing to go on after Windows. Everything seemed fine until a couple of days ago when the machine suddenly slowed to a crawl. Checking Task Manager, I saw that the CPU was maxed out at 100%, with AvastUI.exe being the main culprit at 99%.

Even letting the machine sit there idle for over an hour, it would still be maxed out at 100%, with AvastUI.exe using 90%+ (usually pegged at 99% for most of the time).

Checking things online, I saw that I'm not the only one to have this issue, so I started to work through the various things people suggest as a solution, but things like turning all of the shields off didn't help.

I tried repairing the installation, but that didn't help either. So I went into safe mode and used the utility to completely remove all traces of Avast. Rebooting without any AV loaded at all, the machine was fine, and sat there happily with CPU use at 0% while idling.

I then reinstalled Avast Free from a fresh download of the installer and, guess what? Yes, that's right, it went back to AvastUI.exe using 99% all of the time.

I've checked, and I am able to use Process Explorer to create dump files.

The version of Avast Free is 18.5.2342 (build 18.5.3931.0) and, while I do have other AV/anti-malware programs on the machine, such as Malwarebytes Anti-malware (version 3.5.1.2522), as far as I'm aware none of them are set to load at boot-up and only run when called manually by clicking on them. I certainly can't see any of them running in Task Manager or Process Explorer.

The machine is a P4 2.8GHz with 2GB RAM and a 2TB SATA HDD, running a fully-updated fresh install of XP Pro SP3 uploaded from an official genuine CD (SP1 on the disk, SP2 and SP3 from my own downloads from the Microsoft website a couple of years ago when needed for another machine).

This issue has definitely got me puzzled, as I use Avast Free on other machines with similar software (all Windows XP Pro SP3), and none of them seem to have this issue - including the one I'm using to write this now. So any help people can give in solving it will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Re: AvastUI.exe using 90%+ of CPU and slowing machine to a crawl
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
Thanks for helping!

OK, tried that and rebooted, but no effect as CPU use still stuck at 100%, with AvastUI.exe still using 99%.

As I said in my original post, MBAM and the other programs are not set to run on system start-up, only when called manually, so I can't imagine it being some sort of resource clash with Avast. And, as I also pointed out in my OP, the machine I'm using to write this now has similar software on it, including both Avast and MBAM, and it doesn't have the same issue (CPU usage at about 30%, with AvastUI.exe using about 3%).

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
I noticed that my new AvastUI.exe was using 50% CPU after booting Windows XP, but when I started other programs it would respectfully drop down to 0%.  After a few days this behavior has ceased, and it now goes to 0% a few minutes after booting.  My guess is that it was doing some sort of initial scan after being installed, and that is now complete.  I understand that your problem is far worse, but you could try just leaving it alone for several hours and see if it stops using the CPU.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Well, I've already tried leaving it alone for four or five hours, but that doesn't seem to do any good, and AvastUI.exe is still using 99% even after all that time, so I don't think that's it.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Hi lather30,

You could try uninstalling Malwarebytes Free and reboot. 

They also have a full uninstall tool here:  hxxps://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1112

[EDIT:]  New site, old link bad:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware-cleanup-tool/

Reboot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:36:26 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:38 PM »
That link doesn't work - it just takes me to a dead-end at a login page with no signup option.  So I had to do a bit of searching around on Google to find the correct download link.

Malwarebytes Free uninstalled using the cleanup utility, system rebooted and left for things to settle down, CPU still pegged at 100% with AvastUI.exe still using 99%.

So I guess that confirms it wasn't Malwarebytes Free that was causing the issue.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
That's odd.  Tested site before I posted and got the same executable provided above at bleepingcomputer.com.  Something changed.

Sorry about that.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Dump file created and uploaded using the filename given in the message quoted (avast_ui_exe_cpu_peak.zip) - no password as created the zip file before reading the ftp instructions at https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/FTP-file-upload (also the Windows "send to zip folder" menu didn't give me that option).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 06:33:37 AM »
OK, I'll forward it to kwiq.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
Hi lather30,
I went through all threads and there was only one active thread which belongs to datascan component.
Can you try to disable this feature and let us know if it helped ! For example via ini file
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini in [DataScan] section there is option Enable=1 please change it to Enable=0

Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Hi lather30,
I went through all threads and there was only one active thread which belongs to datascan component.
Can you try to disable this feature and let us know if it helped ! For example via ini file
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini in [DataScan] section there is option Enable=1 please change it to Enable=0

Thank you

Note for lather30, before trying this you will (may if nothing has changed) need to disable the Avast Self-Defence Module in the AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting. 

For the actual edit you should also use notepad, no other text editor (even with the Avast Self-Defence Module disabled).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
OK, tried that.

Self-protection disabled.
Setting changed in Notepad & file saved.
System rebooted and left idle for 1 hour to settle down.
CPU still at 100%, with AvastUI.exe still at 99%.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
OK, tried that.

Self-protection disabled.
Setting changed in Notepad & file saved.
System rebooted and left idle for 1 hour to settle down.
CPU still at 100%, with AvastUI.exe still at 99%.

OK, we will have to wait for Avast Team member kwiq to get back to your topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security