Author Topic: New Beta version 18.6.2348  (Read 17953 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: New Beta version 18.6.2348
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Let's put it this way, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
Let's put it this way, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;)

Not the heat but the hassle and time.  I'm more than capable of looking after myself, but looking at some of the topics in the forums, with bug that remain in place for some considerable time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
Not the heat but the hassle and time.
Too bad, as there are only very few beta testers for XP.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Not the heat but the hassle and time.
Too bad, as there are only very few beta testers for XP.

I suspect there will be/is a point where (unless a specific version is kept) Avast software will cease to function on XP
There are already issues on some XP systems that weren't existent in the recent past.
However my XP OS runs still OK with latest version of Avast Free. The GUI is too high of Resources :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
I suspect there will be/is a point where (unless a specific version is kept) Avast software will cease to function on XP
Yep, please see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
Yep, please see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

THanks Asyn  :)
So to be clear, the version 18 will be kept specifically for XP users going ahead?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
So to be clear, the version 18 will be kept specifically for XP users going ahead?
Exactly. :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »

All the more reason to have all bugs squashed prior to that date, whilst I'm not having any issues there are still many XP related issues with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
All the more reason to have all bugs squashed prior to that date, whilst I'm not having any issues there are still many XP related issues with avast.
Absolutely, that's also why every XP beta tester is extremely valuable for the whole community, imo.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:22 AM »
Absolutely, that's also why every XP beta tester is extremely valuable for the whole community, imo.

I would be interested in knowing if Avast will "stream line" the version for XP, simplify and decrease Resources used up by massive GUI.
imo The XP os's with low RAM and Processor have the hardest time with the recent Avast versions

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
Hello DavidR, Alikhan, Patrick2 and others. Let me get back to your comments and questions from the beginning of this BETA post. It goes beyond the particular update, however important enough to go deeper  ;)

First of all, THANK YOU for your interest related to (not only) BETA program itself. The feedback you provide as well as your physical presence here in the forum, is really and highly appreciated. You all are one strong and important part of the Avast Antivirus development life cycle.

Now, let me comment some of your questions and comments.

Q: If we are so close to the public release, why are there are there so many Known Issues ?

A: I guess you are referring (with the "many") to the 5 known issues mentioned in this forum post, right? If so, it could be relative how much is many for you as well as for the others. What is more important I think is that how probable is that you meet such (even 5 or 150) issues and what is the impact of them to you and your system. For example, for the first look, crash could be taken as very serious issue. And you would be right, but if it happens in situation that just 1 out of 1 000 000 clients will get it, it does not seem to be such a big deal. Moreover, we need to think about decission not to release new version "on time" with all the other fixes and new features to the remaining 999 999 just because of this one. This is why the quality of the product is not something you can actually "measure", it is something you need to discuss. Each of the problem is unique to some degree and require discussion about what will happen if we do this or that. As we take care about our (not only BETA) users here in Avast, we discuss such bugs, their probability to happen and their possible impact.

Q: Known issue survived for many program updates.

A: Well, there could be few reasons why. First could be, that we are trying to fix it, but are unsuccessful so far. Second could be, there is something more important that this one. For example another issue which was found internally and is a bigger issue than this one. You will not see it in the last forum post and probably not even in the new one and we need to give it higher priority. Another could be that the person maintaining this part of the code is not available at the moment (illness, vacation, etc.). As for the previous question, it is something we discuss internally (discussion on top all unresolved issues, new features, etc.) and always aim for what will be the best for most of our users.

Q: Often BETA updates (related to monthly updates).

A: One beta update per week (sometimes "longer" week :) as we are not so precise to be on time) represent lot of code changes. Each of the code change may harm the product functionality, performance, security and other quality attributes of the software. I personally believe it is a good practice. If we are able to release program update for every single code change, that would be great. Because when you are able do it, you may be able to isolate a code change, that makes trouble with the software. On the other side, you can deliver the new features, bugfixes, code refactoring and other changes very quickly to the user you take care about. One code change still represent less risk for the product quality then 100 of them. And when we continue with this chapter to PUBLIC release once per month - not only new features, support of MS Windows "changes" and other stuff is important. It is about fixing all the problems we found internally as well as from the outside - BETA, public channel, etc.

Nothing is perfect and Avast Antivirus client is not an exception. We need to accept this fact and focus on whatever best and meaningful we can do in given time and resources.

This is how I see it. Thank you for reading such a big post and have a nice day!

--
Petr

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
Thx Petr
Appreciate your time in going into and explaining stated concerns about beta process. :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 03:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Petr,
I can fully support the fact that something, even if important to one user, need not be important in the overall scheme of things.
The only thing that bothers me is when there are updates or new releases and they come out with broken components
that have worked perfectly well in previous releases.
I can except problems with something new. It bothers me when something old gets broken and in some instances discarded.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Petr,
I can fully support the fact that something, even if important to one user, need not be important in the overall scheme of things.
The only thing that bothers me is when there are updates or new releases and they come out with broken components
that have worked perfectly well in previous releases.
I can except problems with something new. It bothers me when something old gets broken and in some instances discarded.

Hi Bob, I understand your point. However, because the program is built on top of a code that is somehow connected to each other, it is almost impossible to guarantee such things will not happen. Although we perform regression testing based on the changes we have done and even when we are successful to find something broken, it could happen there is no time to fix it (and test it) before the beta, but still valuable in the overall picture to release it as is.